JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys;

I'm taking my nephew (8) for his first off-road run next Wednesday. He is autistic and he did so well a few weeks ago at the OC Autism Walk where our team alone raised over $2,000 (total rake for the weekend was over $330K)....so I bought him an Indiana Jones hat (his current obsession) and promised to take him on an adventure.

We will start at Main Divide Road and work our way over the peak and end up at Tom's Farms. We can meet by the sign for the Los Pinos Conservation Camp. Directions:
The Santiago Peak Trail (aka southern Main Divide) is a very easy trail with breathtaking views. The trip could take anywhere from 3 to 5 hours with stops along the way for pictures and other things. There are some side trails that have some steep hill climbs and other fun obstacles. A Forest Adventure Pass is recommended. One can be obtained from the general store across from Hells Kitchen. You can buy a pass from any big 5 sporting goods store as well.
If you're coming west on Ortega your going to go past Hells Kitchen. Shortly after, there will be three wooden signs on your right and that is where we will stage. the turn off is NOT the N main divide rd but the Main divide truck trail/ Long Canyon Rd. If you're heading east, the signs will be on your left. If you hit Hell's Kitchen, you've gone too far.

The actual trail head will be near the Bluejay campground.

We plan to be there by 10am and finish with lunch at Tom's Farms.

Let me know if you'd like to meet up for an easy day.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Dude

I will be working in No Ca. Crap :bawling: I would like to have gone.

Thank you for your work raising money for the Autistic. :beer::beer::beer:

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
The gate on the Left leading up to Santiago Peak is closed CH. Wierd padlock and my USFS key won't open it... So you won't be able to hit the towers... That will drop you onto the trail leading to the Temescal Canyon gate.

Only way now is go in the Wierick gate and head up that way to make it to the top...

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah...that's pretty much the route. Excludes most of the fun parts....but hey, like I said, just showing the kid some fun. We should still be able to start around Blue Jay and end up at Indian Truck, right?

PUDDLZ and I went up to the Silverado Canyon side the morning the last set of fires started and saw the locks. Forest Service guy there said that side is "supposed" to be opened up by December 13th.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good to me!

I might head up to Silverado on Sunday morning just to see if they really open up the gates. Who knows. I have to teach from 8 to 11...so maybe on my way home.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I can make a quick phone call - or - I can run up there from the Indian Truck gate in the morning and take a look... I live off Indian Truck...

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey...whatever works. I was just going to enjoy the ride up there.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I'd follow you up but we have some family lunch deal at Tom's Farms on Sunday...

FYI - Trabuco Ranger District (951) 736-1181/1182:beer:

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Gonna run in the rain? I might be down, as we aren't doing much construction with this wet stuff...

Played in the snow today. Had to run up to Cajon Pass for a work call so I took the Jeep instead of the work truck. Plus I pulled some dumbass Channel 2 van guy out. Van's are just silly.;):beer:

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's really funny! Yeah...still going. Probably not gonna be at the trail head until 10 now. You want to swing around to the Ortega side and cruise?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for coming out you guys. Great day....rain, mud, snow....what more could we ask for? Well, ok...some unlocked gates would've been nice.

But hey...it was my first real outting getting stuck...and we got to break Riverkid's winch in!! Yeah, I'm good like that.

Will post pictures soon....and introducing my new Woods knock-off, the "Weeds" steering stab relo kit.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
You weren't really stuck (the first time, LOL):thefinger: You just didn't want to go that way...:grinpimp::beer:

The Toyota, now that boy was stuck...:D

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey...had to pop my mud cherry at some point. That sounded wrong. :shaking:
Anywhoo...here are a few shots. Some snow, Riverkid hooking up his winch to me....you get it.

Attachments

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
at least your jeeps were color coordinated. Looks sloppy and nasty (aka: fun).\

Edit: Ive learned from planning my runs: NEVER say "easy trail ride." (see my quote in my signature line). They never seem to turn out "easy."

1 - 20 of 42 Posts