JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where exactly do I sand the mount at. The two bolts that hold it to the tire carrier, or where the attenna attaces to it? Fawk me I ordered the firestick coax shit, and fogot to order a stud. To top it off, I think the hole in the teraflex antenna mount is too big, and may need a bushing for my fierstick antenna to work/ Help! I know I need a special stud to accomidate the fire wire coax thing, but do I need a bushing for the teraflex mount, or what>?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Where exactly do I sand the mount at. The two bolts that hold it to the tire carrier, or where the attenna attaces to it? Fawk me I ordered the firestick coax shit, and fogot to order a stud. To top it off, I think the hole in the teraflex antenna mount is too big, and may need a bushing for my fierstick antenna to work/ Help! I know I need a special stud to accomidate the fire wire coax thing, but do I need a bushing for the teraflex mount, or what>?
I didn't sand the mount at all. I talked to teraflex and they told me all I needed to do was scuff the inside of the mounting holes with a battery terminal brush (worked great) and that should make a solid ground. I did that and got a great reading on the SWR meter (can't remember the reading though).

I noticed the thing about the hole being large too. I think my stud came with a nylon? washer that had a step-down which I placed upside down to help center the antenna in the hole but it still seemed like there was some slack. When I tightened it the antenna was solid though and about 2 years later it is still on there. All of my parts except the CB and the Teraflex mount are Firestik accessories and I used the coax with the fire-ring.

If I am wrong on my mounting of the antenna and the slack in the Teraflex mount please someone chime in as I would like to fix it if there shouldn't be any slack. :beer:

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
I've got the teraflex mount and didnt sand or scuff it at all. I have a cobra 75, 4ft firestick, a quick disconnect and got 1.1 swr reading without any adjusting needed.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
To clarify, I didn't sand the mount at all....just scuffed the inside of the mounting holes for the tire carrier.

·
Registered
491 Posts
i had the same problem with the hole being to big, the original stud i had for was just barely big enough to work but the way it sat in the hole made the antenna crooked but it worked until i broke the antenna itself lol.

i found this mount at a truck stop and a quick disconnect. i just scrapped all the paint under where the mount attaches on the underside of the bracket and where the bolts go thru to the tailgate. if i remember right i got it tuned to 1.2 or 1.3 which is good enough for me, also a cheap antenna so it could prolly be better if i got a good antenna.

heres a pic of the stud, its pretty solid:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't sand the mount at all. I talked to teraflex and they told me all I needed to do was scuff the inside of the mounting holes with a battery terminal brush (worked great) and that should make a solid ground. I did that and got a great reading on the SWR meter (can't remember the reading though).

I noticed the thing about the hole being large too. I think my stud came with a nylon? washer that had a step-down which I placed upside down to help center the antenna in the hole but it still seemed like there was some slack. When I tightened it the antenna was solid though and about 2 years later it is still on there. All of my parts except the CB and the Teraflex mount are Firestik accessories and I used the coax with the fire-ring.

If I am wrong on my mounting of the antenna and the slack in the Teraflex mount please someone chime in as I would like to fix it if there shouldn't be any slack. :beer:
Did your firestick coax, come with all the coax connectors, on it all ready, or did you have to install the connector yourself? The one I got you have to attacth the connector, that will hook into the cb. The directions, are stupid shitty, and I don't have a clue how to do it. I do know it says you have to solder the inner piece to the inner part of the connector. Which I don't have any damn soldering iron or solder. Anyone got any good links on how to do this part?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Yeah, it came with the connector already attached. This is the actual coax I used. It has a small threaded conector that you screw the supplied regular coax plug onto. I used this because I wanted a clean install and it would allow me to fish that end of the connector through tighter gaps in the body. I ended up taking it through the tailgate through the rubber plug just below the Teraflex mount. I did this by using a soldering iron and burning a hole through the center of the plug which I let cool and used needle-nose pliers to expand enough to pull the cable through.

I just noticed the link above takes you to the main page even though I direct linked it....look under "coax, connectors & misc" for "2pc firering/pl" and that is the coax I used.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I installed my teraflex mount and wired up my cobra 29. I ran the power ground to the firewall. there is a screw approx 1 inch above the hole in the firewall and thats what i used. I powered up my radio and had readings of 3+ on all channels. Im guessing there is a ground issue somewhere. Any ideas of where to start looking. Im running i dont want to trim my antenna to short since im not sure if thats the problem. I didnt sand my mount either. Someone on another forum suggested i need to ground my tailgate?.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I installed my teraflex mount and wired up my cobra 29. I ran the power ground to the firewall. there is a screw approx 1 inch above the hole in the firewall and thats what i used. I powered up my radio and had readings of 3+ on all channels. Im guessing there is a ground issue somewhere. Any ideas of where to start looking. Im running i dont want to trim my antenna to short since im not sure if thats the problem. I didnt sand my mount either. Someone on another forum suggested i need to ground my tailgate?.
^ X2, my antenna is bolts to the frame, my message is Antenna Fail and ground is to the Dash

1 - 9 of 9 Posts