JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get new tires for the ol' '12 JK, no mods done to it yet but getting there. I was hoping to get the tires soon (this summer) and needing something that can do sand and mud and highway driving pretty good without too much of a drop in gas. I'm happy with my 18-19mpg that I get now and if I can stay there, I'd be even happier but know it's not possible if I put bigger tires on. I'm going up to 30.5-31"

Any suggestions?

· Registered
657 Posts
You can usually pick up a set of stock Rubicon tires for cheap. 255/75/17 that's roughly a 31-32"

But I'd be looking for a set of at least 33, our 35s. With proper trimming 35s quip fit with no lift.

Goodyear mt/r, bfg km2, there's a bunch of choices out there, do a search, I'm sure you can find something that fits your style.

Sent from within the beaver

· Registered
111 Posts
I'm no fan of the km2, but I was spoiled by my claws when it came to mud and sand. You're asking for a lot with mud/ sand/ highway, but.....I ran 31" claws for 36k miles where most of it was highway.

They really weren't bad on the highway at all, just have some noise to them. Rotation was an absolute must for them.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm getting a 3.25" lift eventually but I was told 33s might not be the best since I still do highway driving as this is my daily. I was looking at m/t baja radial and the goodyear mt/r. I may get just bigger highway tires too, and just put the 31s on when I go offroad.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm no fan of the km2, but I was spoiled by my claws when it came to mud and sand. You're asking for a lot with mud/ sand/ highway, but.....I ran 31" claws for 36k miles where most of it was highway.

They really weren't bad on the highway at all, just have some noise to them. Rotation was an absolute must for them.

Yeah, I probably am asking for a lot. I was looking at the claws too from mickey .. They seem like they were pretty decent, a little bit of everything. Either way, trying to find an "everything tire" is gonna be hard.

· Registered
111 Posts
I ran my claws as off road tires and they worked well....recently jumped to street slicks on 17's and have my 15's on standby for when I find some more mud tires locally to play with.

As to your axles- if you don't have the rubi then yes, 30/44 combo. They are relatively strong axles and will hold up fine to 31's or 33's. When you go larger be ready for upgrades (a million threads are available on that topic)

· Registered
657 Posts
If your going 3 1/2 inch lift with 31s ours going to look pretty dumb... You need no lift for 31s, 33s and minor trimming for 35s.with no lift.

Even with 321s you can still run a 33, but if you went to a 35 I'd jump on a set of gears. Either 456 or 488 depending on if you have a auto or manual but i think 321s were only on a manual if I'm not mistaken.

You will get a slightly better ride to with a bigger tire. The bigger the tire the more of a hole it will fill.

· Registered
657 Posts
That's kinda how i have mine right now, 2" tereflex spacer up front but it kinda levels it all out. i also have a diff front bumper And winch so they kinda sag the front back too level.

Hopefully soon (if my stupid house ever sells) Ill have it more in the air with 37s

· Registered
82 Posts
im runnin 33x 12.50 ttc claws.they make ya shake a little but they do great offroad and if your going down the highway i dont think im losin too much.. 3.21 gears are dealin pretty good..... they arent noticably taller than stock... just alot wider

· Registered
111 Posts
im runnin 33x 12.50 ttc claws.they make ya shake a little but they do great offroad and if your going down the highway i dont think im losin too much.. 3.21 gears are dealin pretty good..... they arent noticably taller than stock... just alot wider
Pics?? I'm curious how the new claws stack up against the old ones. The old ones were hot shit and IMO- outperform the km2's in the same size (albeit the claws are a bit more expensive)

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was thinking about the lift... 3.25 is tall for me, I'm a short 5"3 and I have a little one. I already need a small step bar :) it's awesome. I might do the 2.5 which is what I was wanting originally but you know sales people (no offense, but men push more when the buyer is a woman) always trying to get you to spend more and go up. I don't want anything bigger than 33s for now. I dont plan on doing anything extreme and would mostly hit beach anyways. Offroading places are kinda far from Corpus.

I'm a little sold on the baja claws though. I like the look of them and have seen plenty of good reviews on them.

· Registered
82 Posts
Pics?? I'm curious how the new claws stack up against the old ones. The old ones were hot shit and IMO- outperform the km2's in the same size (albeit the claws are a bit more expensive)
If ya click on my sn my profile pic is on but for some reason I'm havin a proble uploading photos.... It's 2.5 re lift and baja claw I paid 240 a tire

· Registered
82 Posts
I was thinking about the lift... 3.25 is tall for me, I'm a short 5"3 and I have a little one. I already need a small step bar :) it's awesome. I might do the 2.5 which is what I was wanting originally but you know sales people (no offense, but men push more when the buyer is a woman) always trying to get you to spend more and go up. I don't want anything bigger than 33s for now. I dont plan on doing anything extreme and would mostly hit beach anyways. Offroading places are kinda far from Corpus.

I'm a little sold on the baja claws though. I like the look of them and have seen plenty of good reviews on them.
im gonna try again tody...
the claw bogged me down a little... 3.21 gears... but 2.5" re lift and 33" dont make it much taller but gives it a little more aggresive look
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire
Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going for the goodyear dura trac for now.. going 31 and see how they are. And with a move coming up soon.. there's going to be a lot of money going out the window with breaking my current lease, getting a new one, and the expense of moving.

· Registered
100 Posts
im rocking rubi take offs (32's) on my sport and i love them. my home opening weekend to closeing weekend is the silver lake sand dunes of michigan and you cannot beat a good ol 255-75-17 KM. I average 18-19 in the 3.8 city highway and get around 24 highway all the way up there (200 miles) at 70 mph. cant go wrong with them and people practically give them away on craigslist

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.