JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I'm most likely going to be moving to Columbus, GA within the next couple of months. Who in this group lives near there and would be up for runs on the weekends/ could give some hints on good places to wheel in that area (I'd say, within 100-125mi range)? I'm looking forward to wheeling with some (or all) of you, although it does look like "The South" is spread over quite a few states which may make it a bit difficult!

Also, are there any specific restrictions on modified vehicles that I should be especially aware of in Georgia?

Thanks!

Colin

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Good ol' Columbus, GA. I use to frequent the place a lot when my girlfriend went to school down there. They have a local club of mostly buggies, www.havocoffroad.com . I wheeled with them once before and they are a good group of guys just all their rigs get trailered so they go all out. Big thing about Columbus in there is a lot of people who wheel illegally. A lot of people go to a park called Flat Rock and drive around the concrete loop and veer off to climb a hill, go through some mud, ect and its illegal. They also frequent power line spots just across the state line in AL and the spots are also illegal just no one gets busted because its in the middle of nowhere. I have heard the base down there has tank trails that people ride but not sure how that all works.

You can also check out our local club, www.gatrailriders.com . We have members all over the state (and some out of state). We try and have an official ride once a month.

Now as far as parks within that 100 mile range, not much. Only 2 that come to mind is River Rock in Milledgeville, GA and Morris Mountain east of Anniston, AL. Once you go outside of that you have Mountainside north of Anniston, AL, another off road park in AL (cant remember the name), 2 legal FS trails around Chatsworth, GA, Beasley Knob ORV in Blairsville, GA, Tellico in NC, a few parks in TN and 1 or 2 in SC.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good ol' Columbus, GA. I use to frequent the place a lot when my girlfriend went to school down there. They have a local club of mostly buggies, www.havocoffroad.com . I wheeled with them once before and they are a good group of guys just all their rigs get trailered so they go all out. Big thing about Columbus in there is a lot of people who wheel illegally. A lot of people go to a park called Flat Rock and drive around the concrete loop and veer off to climb a hill, go through some mud, ect and its illegal. They also frequent power line spots just across the state line in AL and the spots are also illegal just no one gets busted because its in the middle of nowhere. I have heard the base down there has tank trails that people ride but not sure how that all works.

You can also check out our local club, www.gatrailriders.com . We have members all over the state (and some out of state). We try and have an official ride once a month.

Now as far as parks within that 100 mile range, not much. Only 2 that come to mind is River Rock in Milledgeville, GA and Morris Mountain east of Anniston, AL. Once you go outside of that you have Mountainside north of Anniston, AL, another off road park in AL (cant remember the name), 2 legal FS trails around Chatsworth, GA, Beasley Knob ORV in Blairsville, GA, Tellico in NC, a few parks in TN and 1 or 2 in SC.

Cool, thanks Bigjerm...that's some good info. Checked out your club, and it looks pretty nice! Looks like both River Rock and Morris Mountain are both about the same distance from Columbus at about 130 miles. Gonna have to check out Tellico as I've heard lots about it...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts