JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy an 08 Unlimited and have been wondering if I am going to be using it as a DD and on-road for 99% of the time, do I need to be worried about 3.73 or 4.10 gearing? I can save a few bucks on the Sahara, but will I be kicking myself in the future when I lift it 2.5" and put 33's on it?

I live in the Denver area so my driving is at altitude as well as hilly.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Both the Rubi and the Sahara come with 32" tires. IMO, it would almost be a waste to only increase by an inch.

I would think the 4.10's would be better in your situation, but you can always change the gearing on the Sahara. I wouldn't base soley about the gearing, consider what other items you want/need.

Do you like the painted fenders over black plastic?

Do you need/want the lower geared transfer case?

Do you need/want lockers front & rear?

Do you need/want an electronic swaybar disconnect?

Do you need/want a D44 front axle?

Do you need/want plastic sidesteps?

And whatever else the differences are, compare them.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Don't forget the stronger axles in the Rubicon as well. I think its 30/32 spline on the Rubicon. I'm not sure what the Sahara has.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I don't think there is much argument over the fact that out of the box the Rubi is better for wheeling. It all depends on how much emphasis you want to put on the wheeling element of your ownership as to whether the Rubi is worth the extra $$$.

Personally I would buy an X over a Sahara, but that is just my personally preference and plenty of people like the Sahara's. Buy what you want and will be happy with, but if you plan on doing much more than moderate wheeling then I'd be tempted with the Rubi.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having owned both and reading what your requirements and usage will be, I'll say get the Sahara. Because if you are going to be street driving 99% of the time, you'll be paying for stuff that you will only use 1% of the time and then other parts you'll only use 25% of that 1%. Trust me I love Rubi's I've owned 2 of them and they are great Jeeps but when it came time to buy our JK we went with a Sahara with a hardtop and 3.73 with a Trac-Loc rear. We went this way because 99.99% of the time we would never need the stuff you pay more for on a Rubi. With 42 miles on it, coming back from the dealer, she was climbing mountain trails in the Bridger-Teton National Forest in Wyoming and she did just great. It's your money and you can purchase what you want but if your usage is what you say it is, save that $3,000 you'll spend extra for a Rubi, put $1500 in the bank to gain interest and spend $1500 on a bumper and winch and you'll still be able to get out of about 99 % of those 1% situations.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Usage can be a hard thing to pin down though. Case in point, I drive to the office only occasionally so it doesn't get many day-to-day miles although my JK is technically a daily driver. There are miles that I put on for errands, but that is mainly because I want an excuse to go for a ride during the times I cannot go off-roading. The rest is off-roading related included the large amount of time to and from the trail. So you could say that my Jeep was 80% off-road use; however, if you were going to be technical it would be more like 1-5% off-road. Sahara... $25k, Rubicon... 28k, having the Rubicon capabilities for that 1-5% when you need them...priceless.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
the other big discussion question is what kind of 4x4 use do you plan to do? Rocks, Mud, trail ride?

If your on the rocks, the Rubicon. Mud I would say either, maybe save the money over the Rubi and get a winch on the Sahara. For just hitting the trails, a Sahara with Trac-Lock would be more than enough

G

·
0 Posts
Something else to consider is how confident you are in your 99% figure. If you are somewhat new to Jeeps, you may find that once you start driving off road you enjoy it more than you had imagined and may start doing more of it. In that case, the added capabilities of the Rubicon are something you'd end up appreciating more and more. Personally, I'd go with the Rubicon. It will give you more confidence that you can handle tough terrain with less chance of getting stuck.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I vote X ...simple, easily upgradeable, and I really dislike that e-disco...POS IMHO...

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
My first encounter with Jeep ownership was with an 04 KJ. I quickly realized that even though it carried the "Trail Rated" badge, I was REALLY limited to what I wanted to do... Which was off-road.

I looked hard at the Sahara and Rubicon side-by-side, And being that i didnt have to pre-order mine, I was able to compare both with test rides.

The Sahara has better manners on-road due to it's softer suspension and street tires, And was nicely equipped with all the bells and whistles.

The Rubicon was more unstable on-road due to it's massive lug BFG MT's. But it was the same ride comfort, IMO.

I pretty much got hosed at the dealer, Since he would not budge -any- off of sticker, And got a crappy finance rate.

I ended up with the Rubicon simply because I am not much of a wrench, And in stock form, The Rubicon will do just about everything you ask it to.

No Regrets!

I had 1200 miles on her before she seen anything other than snow and light dirt roads.

This was Brand new, All shiny and no scratches: 2-7-2008

This was after a trip to www.smorr.net 3-15-2008

St. Joe State Park 4-4-2008

Here is my last outing at www.SMORR.NET 5-17-2008

Topless and Doorless!

I now have 2600 miles on her, And most of them are miles headed to the play place!

Adam

G

·
0 Posts
I vote X ...simple, easily upgradeable, and I really dislike that e-disco...POS IMHO...
I love mine (electronic disconnect). It is really convenient to just push the button, no more climbing under the vehicle, no more greasy hands, no more struggling to reconnect, etc. - just push the button. I did have a failure, handled under warranty, but I think it was self induced. Clearly it's a matter of opinion but I really like the convenience. I have a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift and it came with mechanical disconnects. I just leave them connected and use "the switch", but if it fails to disconnect I always have the mechanical backup.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I love mine (electronic disconnect).
X2 It is really useful and easy to use. I've no problem with using manual discos, but don't see the need when you can just push a button. Now if I was out of warranty and it broke, would I pay to replace it? Most probably not, but I do like it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the Sahara I just leave it disconnected at all times. As far as the painted fenders go who gives a shit It's a jeep If they get scratched or ripped off. It's a buetiful thing. wheel It and enjoy It Is a JEEP for heavens sake.:thefinger:

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
We all choose Sahara.....:maggie::chihuahua::trooper::garfield::cookiemonster::eek:gre::bert::vader1::mr-t:

But what the fuck do Maggie Simpson, a chihuahua, a storm trooper, the cookie monster, Garfield, an Ogre, Bert, Vader, and Mr. T know any way?
"Cookie monster was not available for comment".

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
If you can afford the Rubi....PULL THE TRIGGER!! you won't regret it.:beer:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts