JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have lifted your Jeep you know the JK now has individual rear brake lines which is different than previous modles.

My lines were clear of the tires for the last 9K. I have been a bit worried about them getting in the tires and thought I would add brake line springs at some point.

The snow and some recent wheeling may have pushed this line from it's normal position up into the tire. Tonight heading down a hill out of my neighborhood I lost my brakes. Thankfully it did this just blocks from home at low speed with no nasty results. (and not yesterday coming down I70 from skiing at 75mph).

Limped the Jeep home and put on a spare line I had from the RockKrawler kit.

If you have some good tech suggestions WITH PICS of how to keep these out of the tires this would be a good place to post them. Might not be as much of a concern with a wider off set also.

G

·
Lucky that wasn't on I70 :eek:

Mine seem ok and I only have one twist. I'll try to get a pic for you.

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
This is from bodyguys rig, although it is from the front brake lines, the concept seems the same as could be used in the rear. I believe it is a 3"- 4" spring. I have watched them during articulation. They seem to work well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
Technically a elastic like strap could hold it away and if it has enough give it would allow the line to extend as it stretched.
...And my girlfriend wanted me to throw out all my ripped-up underwear. Fruit of the Loom to the rescue!

Just kidding. That would be another good idea.

G

·
...And my girlfriend wanted me to throw out all my ripped-up underwear. Fruit of the Loom to the rescue!

Just kidding. That would be another good idea.
What :shaking:, are you ghay? We all know that sig others need to drop their pantyhose to fix auto problems. It has been this was for all time. No male underwear on your rig or 1000 cats will die :thefinger:

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
What :shaking:, are you ghay? We all know that sig others need to drop their pantyhose to fix auto problems. It has been this was for all time. No male underwear on your rig or 1000 cats will die :thefinger:
LOL :laughing: Note to self- "Keep stained briefs in trash."

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think the problem actually arose because of your vent line putting pressure on the brake line constantly

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the problem actually arose because of your vent line putting pressure on the brake line constantly

I checked the vent line contact today and while they touch, there is NO pressure on the brake line. You can see below where the issue is and how a big bump could cause the issue.

I should warn you it took longer to photograph, host and post this than it did to actually do the mod. :shock:

I went to Ace hardware and found two springs (they have a huge selection) for $2.50 each. I had some 3/8" fuel line here that I used to locate the springs on the hose and offer extra protection where the line rubs at the top.

The JK has a Muffler post on BOTH sides in the perfect location. The loop on the end of the springs was the perfect size to fit over the post with a little muscle. (post has a nub at the end to prevent them from slipping off).

The brakeline end simply "key ringed' over the line. I will keep an eye on this spot for long term wear too.

Here is a picture of the new brakeline and how close it wants to naturally sit to the tire. There is NOTHING pushing on it to cause it to do this.

It is only a finger width. When this side compresses it moves closer to the tire. So I probably hit a big bump and it moved close enough to touch the tire, get caught and pulled forward where it ultimately wore through.

Here you can see the spring, upper and lower mounts and the hose.

Here is a link to a video of the spring in action.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3156535179/in/photostream/

...and here is an "after" photo to show how far it moved the line from the tire.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry to hear about that I got my 6" kit installed and a day later the line broke and I could not stop driving during traffic....Needless to say I got the problem fixed after I changed my pants:bawling: By the way the bracket holding the brake line should be verticle no slant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.