JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving to Hawaii & need to know all what I need to pass Hawaii Safety Inspection & Recon. I am Military & vehicle is currently registered in VA.

This is my Jeep:

·
ADDICTION II build begins....
3,833 Posts
just add mud flaps and "garden trim" from walmart to extend your factory fenders out over the tires. If they drop a ruler down the furthest edge of the fender to the tire and measure 1" or more of tread sticking out they will fail you on the "RECON".

"Demeeder" on here just moved here not to long ago and helped him pass recon. Give me a call and can help with any questions you have! PM Sent

·
3,833 Posts
One team one fight! :D Always here to help....we moved here from Maryland as well. Make sure if you are bringing any animals that you get all vaccinations done 6 months out or you will pay hefty quarantine fees!

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
And ensure you get your auto insurance moved to HI before you get here. They require a watermarked card that you can not print from the computer.

Welcome. Let us know when you get here.

Dave

·
3,833 Posts
And ensure you get your auto insurance moved to HI before you get here. They require a watermarked card that you can not print from the computer.

Welcome. Let us know when you get here.

Dave
^^^^ x2!

·
3,833 Posts
absolutely....I have USAA too. Give them a call and tell them you need the insurance cards that have the goldish colored watermark on the insurance card. They will send you temp ones through email but when you print them they are just black and white which the DMV will not accept and will not get past the safety/RECON office with them either.

·
3,833 Posts
so here is what you need to do in order so that you can get your vehicle registered here:

1. Call the Reconstruction Permit office to set up an appointment which takes about 2 weeks out:
- (808) 733-2542
- (808) 733-2545 (Byron)

2. Put mud flaps and garden trim on your fenders to extend the fenders over your tire tread and ensure they cannot see half of the height of your tire as looking from the back of the vehicle. I have the trim and mudflaps to help you out when you get here....I loan them to everyone to help get through RECON then get them back for my safety inspections each year. hasn't been an issue for others to redo safety each year without it but I just put them on because I am one of those guys who would find MURPHY and fail just because it's me! LOL

3. Upon RECON completion, go to any vehicle safety inspection office/garage and complete the safety inspection. They will put the stickers on the bottom right corner of your rear bumper unless you buy one of the safety sticker plates you can screw into the bottom of your bumper or one of the plates that mounts with your license plate.

4. Ensure you get the "out of state resident" forms from your S1 to take to DMV. It will cost you $20 to register for Hawaii plates as an out of state resident/military. You could also do the $10 blue sticker but then you will be carrying your out of state plate registration fees as well.

·
3,833 Posts
forgot one other thing....if you dont have a wheel alignment receipt of work completed within 30 days of going for RECON, the RECON office will not inspect your vehicle.

1. Get the wheel alignment
2. Mud flaps and fender extenders
3. RECON (will be successful by just giving them the papers and let them do their thing without saying anything else. make sure any lights showing a colored tint are covered)

You will be good to go by following those 3 steps! :D

·
3,833 Posts
I recommend for Wheel Alignment, tire and balancing for the Reconstruction Permit process:

Hawaiian Tire and Auto Center
POC: Peni Tailo Jr.
98-025 Hekaha Street
Aiea, HI 96701
808-487-6616

It's located behind Goodwill (Next to Cutter Ford) on Kamehameha Highway about halfway between Pearlridge Mall and Walmart.

·
Registered
62 Posts
back from the dead.

My jeep is stock, will i have to this RECON inspection crap also? What do I need to do to get just a regular ole inspection done?

·
3,833 Posts
back from the dead.

My jeep is stock, will i have to this RECON inspection crap also? What do I need to do to get just a regular ole inspection done?
If you are still stock you will not have to get a RECON done. RECON is only for those who have lifted/lowered their vehicles from stock, changed tire sizes or wheel sizes from stock. Everything else they pretty much dont care about as long as there are no add-on lights that show color (such as blue or yellow).

·
Registered
62 Posts
so if i change from 255/75/17 to another size I will have to do the RECON?

·
3,833 Posts
depends on how much of a tire size change you have and who does your safety. If it's nothing much different, the safety inspector may turn a blind eye to it....but if it's enough that they think Honolulu PD will pull you over and then come after their license then you might have to do RECON.

·
Registered
62 Posts
we just thinking about going to 285/70/17 but if it might be an issue i will just stay stock size no big deal to me

·
Registered
62 Posts
sorry for all the dumb questions but it just blows my mind of the rules over there. I thought VA had dumb laws.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Called the Aeia Shell station earlier and the guys said that "as long as the tires are under the fenders you should be good"

1 - 20 of 50 Posts