JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought home my first jeep yesterday. 08 Wrangler X. I've had two death wobbles so far. The first I pulled off the road and the second I let the speed drop below 30 mph and it sorted itself out. Waiting on a call back from the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Do you FEEL safe driving it?

No... no you don't.

If it's actual death wobble than "no"... it's not safe to keep driving.

Doubtful that the dealer will be willing to adequately address the issue, nor would I trust most dealers to give me that piece of mind ( unless they are extremely [lifted] Jeep friendly and have a good deal of experience with this particular issue).

I would personally feel better reading up on how to track-down and fix the issue myself. You may even be able to get some local Jeep guys on board to help you out with it. Jeep guys are generally VERY helpful and willing ( if not eager) to help fix things.

Good luck.

·
Registered
619 Posts
and every time you have it you are wearing/ruining/stressing more parts and brackets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was luckily on clear dry roads at the time and got it under control. I don't have the skills or tools to tear it apart myself and find the problem. I've done a bit of research, enough to know it's over my head. It is under a warranty, which makes me want to take in to be looked at and see if if they can find the problem. Not a great start to my jeep owning experience.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Each eposode can take out more parts, even brand new so called "heavy duty" parts.

With your stated level of experience, I would call the dealer. It would probably be cheaper to pay a tow service than the repair bill for even one additional failed part as a result of continued driving.

I'm an ex mechanic and my junk has been on jack stands with the wobbles and has only seen about 400 miles since November.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Yea... If it's under warranty then take it in... but drive slow or have it towed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The fact that you are asking the question makes me doubt you JK has DW. It is a white knuckle experience that once is usually too much.

It just may be developing because the classic case develops around 45-55 MPH and won't stop until you are almost stopped when the oscillation doesn't have enough energy to keep itself going.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
When I had death wobble I had to come to an absolute complete stop in the middle of the road and was not able to steer much. If you really experienced death wobble you probably would not be asking this. Either way its not safe, get it figured out before you damage more components and start chasing your tail throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You may be right. My use of the term is based off a few examples seen on utube and written descriptions. Though it seemed pretty nerve wrecking at the time. I thought I'd blown a tire at first. Driving through Denver rush hour traffic last night was worse all things considered :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts