JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
The internet as a whole became an real ugly place, real fast ... people have chaged, spread more hate than help and Photobucket prolly did the best job sinking a dagger into the heart of our online community ... Then you go to [email protected]@L!F3 wanting to hang with the cool kids from California and they tell you to burn your jeep and screw a goat, its a disgusting place...

I am not old either, still in my early 30's even though I sound 80 (according to my wife). I would say 2003-2010 were the golden years of the forums just concentrated good stuff, photobucket was ripe with amazing images hosted online, forums were helpful, people were happy to share and meeting in person was always story time and just good community, Youtube had real people sharing and not just OVER sponsored/compensated racing for the latest gadget... I was into Jeeps and old Datsun Z cars and the wealth of knowledge was amazing. without it i would have never installed my first lift on a jeep at 14 and rebuilt the top end of a blown 280zx at 15 without the inspiration of the healthy forum culture.

Your post struck a nerve, I am done ... Jeep On!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I think Facebook also had a lot to do with killing the forums. Facebook groups are large and active. The group owner gets no compensation for it and all advertising monies are made by Facebook.

Forums also went south as private people sold out their forums to companies that collected ownership in an effort to invest and turn profits. This was not good for the forum communities.

I owned a forum for years and paid out of pocket for it, never sold advertising or membership levels and I ran it until in my opinion.... Facebook killed it. Then one day I pulled the plug.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
It is sad

·
Registered
433 Posts
It really does feel empty... I hate facebook.
Facebook killed the internet forums. No doubt in my opinion.

And in forums you could easily search and seek out information. But Facebook doesn't near as easily allow for that... why.... because by making search more difficult and less fruitful they ensure a constant and never ending churn of posts and with it the advertising and payout that it brings.

Reactions: dnoerr

·
Registered
16 Posts
Facebook killed the internet forums. No doubt in my opinion.

And in forums you could easily search and seek out information. But Facebook doesn't near as easily allow for that... why.... because by making search more difficult and less fruitful they ensure a constant and never ending churn of posts and with it the advertising and payout that it brings.

yeah, they just want to keep you scrolling past their ads instead of finding what you need and moving on.

·
Super Moderator
6,262 Posts
I think Facebook also had a lot to do with killing the forums. Facebook groups are large and active. The group owner gets no compensation for it and all advertising monies are made by Facebook.

Forums also went south as private people sold out their forums to companies that collected ownership in an effort to invest and turn profits. This was not good for the forum communities.

I owned a forum for years and paid out of pocket for it, never sold advertising or membership levels and I ran it until in my opinion.... Facebook killed it. Then one day I pulled the plug.

this comment is accurate AF

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
this comment is accurate AF
It's the Facebook, the lack of new tech, the spam, and the douchebags who join up, start spewing their shit without any tech at all. Those nerds should stick to Facebook.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hey, I have a question. Yesterday I was in my 2014 JK and my wife called. My phone is paired to the Jeep that has the black base radio and not a touch screen. Anytime a call comes the jeep spends the first 3 rings telling me that there is an incoming call from Joe Blow and that I need to hit the button to answer. I can't answer until that painfully long thing plays out, else it will answer the phone but continue to say the annoying crap.

Is there a way in that base radio to make it not go through that and simply ring so I can answer on the first ring?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts