JKOwners Forum banner

RV Trailer Question

4K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Hilldweller 
#1 ·
Hi all! I know the towing capacity of the JK is 3500lbs...but realisticly, what is the most weight the JK can actually tow comfortably? I have zero towing experience and I was daydreaming the other day and saw this http://www.tada-rv.com/index.php....

Thanks!

#2 ·
Well, I am a design engineer in the towing industry and NO ONE will warranty or back you if an accident happens if you are over capacity on ANYTHING involved with towing. You can do what you want - just remember when you go over ratings on public property that you have assumed all liability in the case of an accident. Then you will be in front of a judge trying to explain how you took it in your hands to ignore calculated/tested parameters set up by the manufacturer.

#4 ·
Thanks 100dollarman. You pretty much confirmed what I suspected :( My JK already seems sluggish accelerating up a hill w/o towing anything, so I can just imagine what it's like w/ a load back there! Maybe if I won lotto, I'd get the Hemi conversion and then buy an Airstream :)

#10 ·
He's doing good! A very active 5 year old and totally into Star Wars anything (legos, video games. lightsabers)...I'm busy at every night 'cause we're "battling"...I'm usually Anakin and he's Obi-Wan (needless to say, I usually am the one dying). He keeps me young!

#11 ·
I regularly tow my pop-up (along with all the other camping stuff and canoe) and it weighs at least 1700 lbs. Jeep hardly knows it's back there. Which is to say that it's no more gutless than usual. Take it FWIW. :D

#15 ·
An old (read heavy) Coleman. 12' box with all the options. Plus, my wife and daughter do not travel light. So like I said, it weighs at least 1700 all loaded up and the Jeep has no problems. Oh yeah..........my JK is an unlimited with an auto, 32s and 4.10s.

#13 ·
Just wait till they get older. My oldest son decided to take a ride on his CR last Friday. He got on his bike and took off across the desert. After riding he fowled a plug and discovered he did not have an extra. :shaking:Then he discovered he had only half a bottle of water.:shaking: Luckily he had cell coverage and called me. He was about 4-5 miles from his truck in a valley between hills and couldn’t figure out how to tell me to find him. After 3 hours of looking I saw him standing on a hill. He is also lucky that I have a jeep. I would not have got to him if I didn’t have 4x4. He has been riding since he was 5. I could not believe he went out alone, no back up spark plug and no water.:pissed: So you see it doesn’t get any easier. He is 21.:beer:

#21 ·
I can appreciate that. My wife is the same way. Prior to the economy taking a nose dive, we were looking to upgrade. Fleetwood (formerly Coleman) makes some high end pop-ups that have tip outs and full bathrooms (including shower) and they are light enough to tow behind the JK. Maybe next year. :D

#18 ·
I just got back from a 4000+ mile round trip to Moab and back towing my Fleetwood Evolution E3. (Not without incident, see my posts on bad gas). The dry weight of the E3 is 2900 and is pushing the 3500lb limit when loaded up with camping gear. The JK did ok, it wasn't a barn burner by any stretch, and the boost gauge was in the 2lb boost range for most of the trip (could be why, in combination with the bad gas, the one spark plug failed). I'm just glad I had the supercharger. I also tow in third (1:1) gear.

So, the JK did fine (with a few exceptions) with the supercharged V6. All in all, I wish I had a V8, especially in that long climb out of Denver on the way up to the 10000 ft level. There I had one stretch following a semi at 25-30mph in first gear. There was no way I was going to pass him (I could have slowly gone around him at the ire of all the drivers passing me at 65mph+)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.