JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2014 JKU and had a question about rust prevention. What is the best way to be proactive against rust underneath? I plan to spend a lot of time with it on the beach during the summer and the occasional light trails. I already plan to flush the undercarriage with fresh water after every outing, but is there more I should be doing? Any specific products I should be using? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,194 Posts
clean it meticulously -and I mean anyplace you can reach and that salt or saltwater could get into - then spray liberally and completely with FluidFilm rust pteventor/inhibitor/water repellent. It ,as Ken sggted, will keep your underside looking brand new. With beach use, you really need to douse it ,tho. Salt is enemy #1. :jeep2:

·
Registered
930 Posts
I would give everything underneath a coat of chassis saver to start off with. Also I would use one of the products made to go inside the frame rails as well. Then simply wash off everything every once in a while and you'll be golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
In a sand environment, it is especially important to get into ALL the nooks and crannies when rinsing off/out those fine silicant abrasives. Otherwise, normal operating vibrations essentially turn whatever area they are contained within into a tumbler, eating through anything and everything with which you may have coated those surfaces...and they hold moisture when clumped together.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I keep the underside rinsed off well during every wash and after any trips to the beach or snow. Also, typically once a year I get underneath with a wire wheel scrubbing out any rust I can find (usually from scratches) and then painting over with rust converter for good measure. After 10 years the underside looks great with no rust. BUT I am in interior california and have only had it on the beach once - so pretty low rust environment for me. So you probably should step it up a notch and follow some of the other suggestions given. I've heard good things about fluid film as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the advice. Im leaning towards fluid film once the weather breaks. I noticed that it sprays on almost clear. Has anybody ever used FF and then painted everything flat black once the FF was dry? Im trying to keep her looking pretty under there.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
You can paint after spraying if you degrease first. That sort of defeats the purpose of spraying it on in the first place. It is a waxy lubricating natural oil. Not a great paint base. Ymmv.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you think it would be better to spray everything flat black first, then the fluid film?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
If you want to paint, sand the rust off (or use some rust converter, although I never had any luck with it), prime, paint, let paint cure then apply film.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
The absolute best procedure for rust prevention would be a frame off but it's up to you.

A. Sandblast to shiny metal all surfaces you wish to protect. Promotes better adherence to material.

B. Watch this video.

The video is from Eastwood.

C. You could also use Extend instead of the Eastwood product.
POR-15 is another excellent product but the procedure is different and in more detail than Extend or Eastwood. All do the same job.

Good luck. Post pictures. i would do two coats at minimum. All it takes to ruin your day is a micro hole to let in moisture.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I've had the best luck with chassis saver.
Also, yes, like I said earlier it would be in your best interest and less work to paint everything first with such a product and then when it's all done and you're happy with it you can use fluid film. Then if you ever need to touch up small areas just degrease the small area, paint it again, and you're good to go.....

·
Registered
154 Posts
I haven't had very good luck with por or chassis saver. The chassis saver is better and not glossy so I think it looks better. I'd just use a gallon of rust oleum and spray paint what you can't brush. I also really like the rustoleum marine black paint. It's glossy but man is it hard. It brushes on nice and smoothes out the brush strokes. I did my roll cage with it.
POR doesn't go very far and it's damn pricey.
I love fluid film. We undercoat our plow trucks every winter with it now. It's also the best battery terminal protector you'll find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of the info. Due to the fact that there is very little rust underneath I think I am just going to use the black Rustoleum spray on undercoating, let it cure, and then apply the fluid film. I think that will be the simplest most cost effective way to get the look and protection I need.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've had the best luck with chassis saver.
Also, yes, like I said earlier it would be in your best interest and less work to paint everything first with such a product and then when it's all done and you're happy with it you can use fluid film. Then if you ever need to touch up small areas just degrease the small area, paint it again, and you're good to go.....

this is my plan for the spring.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I haven't had good luck with chassis saver. In a nutshell use por 15 if you want a good paint style coating, imho.
Last year I took the body off for my hemi swap and installed a long arm, then sandblasted the frame and 4 coats of chassis saver per their instructions. They also said it was uv safe if not exposed to direct sunlight. Not true. After painting mine and it looking so stupidly awesome in the satin black I did another jeep with the body on and they both looked amazing....for a few months.
Both jeeps are garage kept and both jeeps have chalky , flat black frames. To say I am disappointed would be an understatement. Both frames are oxidized in under a year and neither have ever seen sun so based on my experience I would say unless you want a flat chalky frame, stay away from chassis saver. I wish I would have powdercoated my frame.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts