JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the rust belt (Salty Michigan) and just wanted to ask some of you guys with the first JKs any sign of rust yet? Would you recommend Zebart.
Thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
i have seen jks come off the lot with rust... especially if you live anywhere near the coast...

as for the zebart, cant help there sorry... never heard of it :shaking:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
With our winters and the salt they put on the roads here, everything rusts.
I had my JK treated with anti-rust grease every fall since 2007.
(NOT oil... Grease...)

ZERO rust for now, except the door hinges where the rocks hit when thrown from the tires... :shaking:

The underbelly is all good.
It's a freaking mess everytime you have to work on the Jeep but the old saying "Jeeps rust" is not gonna get me! (fingers crossed!)

:beer:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I used POR15 paint on the underside of my Jeep. It looks great and prevents rust... I painted it later summer. Now after the winter all the previously bare metal parts still look perfect. I've noticed it doesn't stick well to pre painted surfaces though. So i would scuff the stock painted stuff a little and use POR's metal ready before painting. I'm happy with mine.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had Zebart do mine for $300 bucks and they did a pretty good job. Then I bring it back every year for $55 and they power wash it and touch up any places that need it. Worth it for me living in New England cause I plan on keeping it for awhile.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'll need to look up the zebert. My currie arms are only 18 months old and all the paint is gone on the lower arms. I wish I just waited for aluminum to hit the market. I'll be painting mine for the 3rd time but now I'm thinking of going all out and getting it done in por 15 or this zebert stuff.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Had Zebart do mine for $300 bucks and they did a pretty good job. Then I bring it back every year for $55 and they power wash it and touch up any places that need it. Worth it for me living in New England cause I plan on keeping it for awhile.
300$ !!!!!!
Wow!

I always paid 70 max for the pressure wash, drying and grease treatment... (cars are like 50-55$... Trucks 70$)

Aren't Ziebart some kind of "stereo/accessories/pimp" auto shop?

I say go to the pros! L'Ami de l'auto do it for me!!! :D
This guy, Firmin, does every little spot he can find, drills holes for the spots he knows need the treatment, etc...

And the truck has to be "somewhat hot" so that the grease really penetrates the metal... Don't do it "once the winter has come" kinda thing...

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
There was some sort of Salt-proof thing on Motorweek this past week on Goss's garage. I can't remember the name of it, but it looked awesome and he recommended it - he seems to know what he's talking about most of the time. Anyone else see it? I can see if the episode is on demand or soemthing.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My JK had rust from day one - the side frame rails and both diff housings had some surface spots. It wasn't major, but it is odd because it is so dry here in Colorado. It must of come from the factory that way.

I climb under my rigs a couple times a year with a matte black can of Rustoleum and some steel wool. I clean up any rust bubbles or bare spots with the steel wool and then give it a shot of the paint. Simple, fast, and cheap. It has always kept things looking good - your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Eastwood's Salt Prevention

Found it here http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/goss/2934.shtml
I dont think that beats the grease or oil treatments...

But I did see some electronic devices that are supposedly used on big trucks, plows, garbage trucks, etc...
Like this:
http://www.ruststoponline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=119&Itemid=77

Never experienced it but their technology sounds kinda right...
I think the government uses it on the snow plow trucks and such...

10-4.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts