JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has noticed any inexplicable rust on any parts of their JKs. Specifically, at all 4 ends of both axles and the muffler.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
The axle rust is normal and you won't be able to avoid it. Some mufflers stay shiny while other tend to turn with heat. It looks like rust, but it's more of a discoloration. I painted mine with black barbeque grill paint. It's held up well and is easy to do.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rotorhead,

So you had the same rust on your Rubi when you purchased it? As for the paint, that's an idea I'm definitely looking into. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Yes, they come that way. It sucks, but they are unpainted and by the time you get them, the outer part of the axles are already rusty.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK...just wanted to make sure I didn't get screwed at the dealership.

A

·
0 Posts
Virtually every truck made will have unfinished parts that will be rusty from new. It’s nothing to worry about but if it bothers you, take a wire brush to, and then rattle can the areas that bug you.

·
14ers
479 Posts
Either that or just leave the underside covered with the mud from the last trail :beer:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm definitely leaning towards your idea Alec, although it's only a matter of time before it's caked in mud anyway! :grinpimp:

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
After every 1 or 2 wheelin' trips I wash the underneath down real well and climb under there with a rattle can. I spray all the dents, gouges and scratches, along with the rusting areas. Doesn't take long, and as I live by the coast it helps keep the rust at bay.

Flat paints are the easiest to apply, but they go on real thin and I've found they rust through pretty quick. So I now use Rustoleum Professional Semi Gloss on everything. Their Cold Galvanizing Compound spray is a good base for real rusted areas.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll be picking up a can of that stuff really soon. Thanks for the insight! :D

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
None except muffler.............

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I guess I can't find a spot underneath without rust. It's unfortunate in New england but if I had to weld anything I might as well add 4 hrs labor to chisel off the rust. Thank You chrysler for not coating the underside with some kind of undercarrage paint.

Picture the underside of your JK half brown and half black.

·
Registered
73 Posts
yes I have rust in areas as well...the ones that bother me most are on the inside; under the steering column just inside the dash and under both sides of the rear seat on the rear post. haven't had time to bring it to the dealer just yet, but talked to them and they said "just bring it in and we will replace it". so we'll see!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I used POR-15 on my TJ which I had when I lived in Minnesota. That salt and chemical mix they use is brutal on vehicles. It worked wonderfully.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I did my 1" BL, I found that the two rear body mount bolts where rusting, when I removed them, a waterfall of rust and mud came spewing out. So check those on yours if you've done any water fording.

Oh yeah and sooner or later your door hinges are going to show signs of rust.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was looking at a Deep Water Blue JK on the dealer lot this weekend and it had rust around the windshield bolts...how about that! Makes me think twice about replacing my JK under the Lemon Law...I may do a buy back and find something else to spend my money on with a little better quality.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Just picked up my JK Saturday. Sunday looked under it to check axle breathers and WTF????? Both front brake assemblies and both drive shafts look like they pulled 'em out of the Ohio river and slapped them on the Jeep.
Calling dealer today to biatach!!:bawling:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts