JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to run my power windows and door locks off toggle switches. There is none of the factory wiring/switches/TIPM in the Jeep anymore.

It's a 4dr, so I'm figuring 4 switches for the windows, one for each, up/down through the same switch. The locks, I'm just figuring one switch that locks/unlocks all doors at the same time.

Is it as simple as just finding the up and down or lock/unlock wires and running them to the switches? Or do these things work off reversing the electrical flow to make them work?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sounds like you bit off more than you can chew. To sit hear and try to explain to you how to do it , it would be faster for me to go to your house and wire it up than to type up the whole explanation. But I'll give you a super condensed version and you'll have to figure it out from there. Window motors have 2 wires, you put power to one wire the window goes up. Put power to the other wire the window goes down. Youll need to build a wiring harness with a relay and a fuse. The factor window switch can be used, you'll just have to pin out the switch. The door locks you might be able to get an aftermarket universal door lock wiring harness.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like you bit off more than you can chew. To sit hear and try to explain to you how to do it , it would be faster for me to go to your house and wire it up than to type up the whole explanation. But I'll give you a super condensed version and you'll have to figure it out from there. Window motors have 2 wires, you put power to one wire the window goes up. Put power to the other wire the window goes down. Youll need to build a wiring harness with a relay and a fuse. The factor window switch can be used, you'll just have to pin out the switch. The door locks you might be able to get an aftermarket universal door lock wiring harness.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Apparently, I only swim in the deep end.:thefinger:

That's what it was, power to one wire for up, power to another to go down. Now I remember reading a few threads on Pirate about this type of thing. I'll suss them out.

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are your thoughts on this schematic? Obviously I'd need 4 setups like this, one for each window.

Power window wiring.jpeg

·
Random Dude
3,042 Posts
What are your thoughts on this schematic? Obviously I'd need 4 setups like this, one for each window.

View attachment 338052
Assuming momentary switch, that looks kosher to me. If the motors don't have overload protection, maybe add self-resetting circuit breaker(s).

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Assuming momentary switch, that looks kosher to me. If the motors don't have overload protection, maybe add self-resetting circuit breaker(s).
Yes, the switches I have are mom-on/ off/ mom-on. So that should cover both up/down per switch.

Roger on the self-resetting circuit breakers.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The OEM window motors have internal protection, probably some sort of PTC device. However, that protects the motor, not the circuit.
CB1, in the TIPM, protects all of the window circuits. It will also "trip" before an overloaded motor heats up enough for the internal device to "trip".
You could use it in your custom installation.

Here is how it works:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
4,927 Posts
You're welcome.

Sounds like an interesting project.
Would the guy who bought the jku trailer be able to tap his current wiring to "run" the power locks?

Seems like it should be possible.

I advised to ask u as you can answer these in your sleep

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts