JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new MT and a brand new Duratrac sitting at my house. How bad of an idea would it be to just buy another of each and run them like that? Obviously same tires on same axles and they're all the same size. I understand they will handle differently.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
As long as they are the same TRUE size you are good. There is a problem with running different size tires front and back as well. I thought I read that somewhere on here, let me try and do some Google searches.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As long as they are the same TRUE size you are good. There is a problem with running different size tires front and back as well. I thought I read that somewhere on here, let me try and do some Google searches.
technically yes technically no. ones a 35/12.5R17 and one is a 315/70/r17 so they technically aren't true same size. I have to measure the actual tires because some measure smaller or bigger than others. just by measurements of the sizes and not measuring the actual tires, the 315s are a half a inch shorter which I don't think would make much of a difference considering I've seen people with balding tires on one axle and brand new ones on another.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Half an inch sounds a bit too much for me. Just because other people do it does not mean you should too. The question is if the potential damage to the transmission and transfer case is worth it to you so safe on buying 2 new tires versus 3 new tires.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Half an inch sounds a bit too much for me. Just because other people do it does not mean you should too. The question is if the potential damage to the transmission and transfer case is worth it to you so safe on buying 2 new tires versus 3 new tires.
But isn't there no damage unless im in 4wd on dry pavement (which you shouldnt be anyway)? Tires turn at different rates around corners normally. which is why welded diffs, lockers or our 4wd systems should only be used on loose traction areas.

If im not mistaken. I don't get too much it to the physics of how these things work so its very possible I'm thinking about this the wrong way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts