JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've seen at least one post discussing running without a spare, but I can't seem to find it.

After adding all the armor I'm thinking of running without a spare and the swing away tire carrier to get a little weight off the back end. I've already sold my 8274 boat anchor off the front and replaced it with a smitty winch with synthetic line.

I keep a 15# bottle for air tools and have a viair under hood with a tank. I also have a pretty comprehensive tire plug kit.

Who else out there has any experience with this?

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,653 Posts
I know I've seen at least one post discussing running without a spare, but I can't seem to find it.

After adding all the armor I'm thinking of running without a spare and the swing away tire carrier to get a little weight off the back end. I've already sold my 8274 boat anchor off the front and replaced it with a smitty winch with synthetic line.

I keep a 15# bottle for air tools and have a viair under hood with a tank. I also have a pretty comprehensive tire plug kit.

Who else out there has any experience with this?
I have run without a spare for over a year and about 15 - 20K miles. I don't at all like running offroad knowing that I don't have a spare, so this is changing, especially now with the 37s. I won't be running a tire carrier, so my spare will be a used 37 on a steel wheel that will only go on wheeling trips with me. My 2 door is no longer daily driven either.

If you're running on the road all the time then the odds of you being somewhere where you absolutely could not get a tow or repair that wasn't covered by your auto insurance is slim. However, it'd be way faster, easier, and less headache to have a spare tire for emergencies.

Marcus

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
I only care my spare on the trail, and i toss it in the back then. its nice not having 150 lbs hanging off the back

·
Registered
532 Posts
I run spareless in Tulsa because everything is so close. When I go up to Disney I'll throw my spare in the back.

Sent with braille ..:.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I've pulled my spare for daily driving and throw the stock rubi spare on for trails. It's lighter than a matching 35 and I don't have to spend the extra money for a new carrier.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I can't recall the last time I had a total flat, but I know if I did it would be at 3:00am in the middle of nowhere.

I'll often remove my spare for wheeling, but it's never more than a mile or two away. I would not even consider running a trail where I'd be miles away from camp, like Golden Spike or something, without a full size spare with me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've recently taken my spare off and only plan on carrying it with me on trails or long trips. I rather have the extra weight off and wait a while for someone to bring me my spare rather than carrying it with me all over the place.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Count me in as someone who only uses a spare when wheeling - and even then I throw it into the back of the Jeep where the back seat was. I like to keep the weight balanced in the Jeep and also be able to see out of the back.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It goes against everything I believe in (being prepared). With on board air and a good plug kit I think I can handle a regular flat. The only good wheeling in the area is Disney. I don't believe I would ever be over a 20 minute ride for a replacement. I'm thinking I'll go with the PSC tramp stamp as I've already relocated my plates and find a new place to mount my jack and cb antenna.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only care my spare on the trail, and i toss it in the back then. its nice not having 150 lbs hanging off the back

Hey Dirty,
How do you have the spare mounted so it stays upright?

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Spares are like ski boats--you don't need one if your neighbor has one.

When we wheel as a family, I figure I can use my wife's spare from her 4 door.

A heavy 37" or 40" spare on the back of my 2 dr makes steep climbs interesting because the lever of the extra weight causes my front tires to lose full traction sooner.

It is less of an issue on a 4 door.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
It goes against everything I believe in (being prepared). With on board air and a good plug kit I think I can handle a regular flat. The only good wheeling in the area is Disney. I don't believe I would ever be over a 20 minute ride for a replacement. I'm thinking I'll go with the PSC tramp stamp as I've already relocated my plates and find a new place to mount my jack and cb antenna.

Shoot me a pm next time you head up yo Disney. I need to get out lol

Sent with braille ..:.

·
Heat'n and a beat'n...
3,953 Posts
I havent been running a spare, but ive havent been going too far from the house. If i go far or wheeling, i will throw it in that back. I will get the poison spyder tj tire carrier eventually. Right now, i just dont feel like doing what it will take to make it work with my set up.

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
I for one split the difference. I only cary a 35" spare even though I am running 37" tires. Its about 50lbs lighter than my 37"s (toyos are some heavy SOBs). I carry a good plug kit and a 10lb tank. Its not the nail I am worried about more so the blow-out on the freeway at 70 that shreds the tire. There are some things a plug wont fix. I also run a very minimalist rear tire carrier (Rancho rock gear). I think my bumper/tire carrier/spare comes in right around 150lbs. Thats less than some peoples bumpers alone.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
I run spareless and have for 5k miles... I have 37's..... I am going to be buying my fifth wheel and tire and lod rear bumper and tire carrier though because i need the peace of mind!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts