JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any of you guys have issues with the Ruggid Ridge XHD tire carrier...or any other tire carrier...shaking real bad? I am surprised the spare hasnt ripped the lugs off the mount it shakes so bad. I have checked and re-checked all bolts for tightness, all the tire lugs are tight....the carrier is resting on the door bump stops...I dunno what else to do. Any fix for this?

EDIT: Did I miss something? What happened to the Ruggid Ridge rep on here?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I had a few minor issues

But it sounds like u got em bad.

I took up the play between the tire carrier catch and the handle. It helped a bunch.

:beer:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't seem that the tire carrier itself is shaking, it looks like its the tire itself on the carrier. I have had people stop me while driving to let me know that my spare is about to fall off....

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
my tire jiggles, but not so bad that people think it's going to fall off. WTF? And FWIW, only 2 of the nuts are holding it. The 3rd lug (the bottom one) is stripped, it has a nut on it but you can't tighten it beyond hand tight :shaking:

What does bug me about the carrier is that damn plastic bumper thing that supports the weight on the latch side. Mine has worn down from repeated opening/closing. So now it has worn to the point where there is a squeak every time I hit any little bump in the road. I don't notice it when the top is on, but when I run topless, that squeak annoys the hell out of me. I usually turn the music up loud so that I don't hear it.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
My first rear bumper go-round was with the XHD carrier. I have absolutely nothing even remotely good to say about that piece, nothing at all - so I won't. But I will say I remember the shaking spare thing and I'd be worried about metal fatigue, not to mention the latch mechanism. I'd try to at least secure it to a more robust part of the carrier or bumper.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And FWIW, only 2 of the nuts are holding it. The 3rd lug (the bottom one) is stripped, it has a nut on it but you can't tighten it beyond hand tight :shaking:
Same here. However, the top right stud is the one stripped
on mine. Once, you get past running torque, it slips. I have wondered about removing the lugs that are on the carrier, drilling holes for new lug bolts, and inserting (possibly welding) new lug bolts through to hold the tire on. The only problem with this....I have no idea how to weld or have a welder and working with metal makes me nervous.:bawling:

Have also wondered about using some sort of rubber stop to mount on to the tire carrier and rest on the tire to help stabilize it.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
My first rear bumper go-round was with the XHD carrier. I have absolutely nothing even remotely good to say about that piece, nothing at all - so I won't. But I will say I remember the shaking spare thing and I'd be worried about metal fatigue, not to mention the latch mechanism. I'd try to at least secure it to a more robust part of the carrier or bumper.
LOL...

Well, the install was a PITA because shit didn't line up properly, we had to do some modifying to install it.

But I have no complaints with the bumper itself. It has taken some abuse on rocks, and all that has happened is some scratched powder coat. So for durability, I think this bumper is fine. And I doubt you can find another bumper in this price range that is as durable.

The carrier. Been on for a couple years. I don't really trust it, and always remove my spare before I hit the trail. I just don't think it can handle the 100lb spare while bouncing around on obstacles.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
wow.. i've got the rr xhd bumper/tire carrier and i'm not having any issues with it.. it shakes a little but what tire carrier doesnt...

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Ouch! So that is what I have to look forward too :shaking: :bawling:

Oh well. I've been eyeing some other bumper/carriers for the last year. So as soon as this one starts breaking down, I'll have the excuse to buy something else

·
Registered
112 Posts
I haven't really had any issues either. It wasn't my first choice, but I got it used for peanuts. To the OP: you say the tire carrier is resting on the door bump stops...are they compressed? I adjusted the stopper pad brackets out so they compress the bump stops about half of their length (if that makes sense). Granted, it's a little harder to close, but it doesn't move at all and is solid.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To the OP: you say the tire carrier is resting on the door bump stops...are they compressed? I adjusted the stopper pad brackets out so they compress the bump stops about half of their length (if that makes sense). Granted, it's a little harder to close, but it doesn't move at all and is solid.
yeah I adjusted mine to where they compressed the same way.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I got sick of my RR tire carrier also. The bumper is OK, tire carrier is POS. It has swung open going down the road numerous times. Last weekend I just took it off.

Here is what I am running now. OrFab tire carrier. I also stubby-fied the RR rear bumper. The OrFab is solid as a rock. The huge tire has zero movement.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Went by Venom's house after work to try and figure something out. Found the mount for the tire carrier cracked. See this:
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51864&page=3
First time when I saw my tire wiggle around I wondered how long it would take until fatigue cracks would occur, I see now that my fear for that was correct.

The framework of the carrier itself is solid but the adjustable tire mounting brackets have too much flex especially in rotational direction (turn tire by hand while mounted and you'll see what I mean). I think the whole issue could be solved by having the tire walls sitting under tension against the tire carrier frame to take some load caused by vibrations away from the mounting brackets however the L-Brackets that go against the OEM rubber bumpers of the door stick too far out to do that.
When I have some time I'll chop the L-Brackets or install some rubber bumpers on the tire carrier frame to get rid of that annoying wiggle in the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I'm not following you on the "turn tire by hand while mounted and you'll see what I mean". My tire won't turn at all.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Just try turning the tire with a bit of force and see how much the brackets flex this way.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Ah, OK I get it.

You are probably on the right track about the tire sitting against the carrier. I do have mine sitting against the carrier. I just adjusted the mounting bracket in a way to make the lower part of the tire rest against the carrier. Maybe this is why I don't notice the amounts of jiggle that others seem to be having.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Certainly would help reducing the "wiggles". Better would likely be if the tire would sit flat with 3 contact points on the carrier but as seen in the pics the damn L-Brackets stick too far out and would dig into the tire side walls.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats exactley what happened. You have to have the spare sticking too far out so that it doesnt rub on those brackets for the bump stops. that causes alot of stress on the tire mount bracket from the spare wobbling around.

If you take the brackets off and flip them, they dont hit the tire and you can sit it flush to the carrier. You just have to drill 2 holes on the leg of the bracket that is supposed to go against the stops and mount it to the carrier arm using the exisiting holes....ill take a pic later and show you what Venom and I did.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Once you move the brackets, you can get the tire snug against the carrier:

flipped brackets and clearance:

The tire carrier it self now shakes a little but doesnt rattle. The spare moves with it of course. That is still alot better than it was before where the carrier stayed still and the spare moved around. Now the mount plate for the spare shouldn't have any stress issues. Now the spare rest on all 3 points of the carrier.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts