JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put in the Rugged Ridge Mirror Relocation brackets. If you want them for looks (aka not getting a b.s. ticket) then I'd go with them. If you want them so you have mirrors without doors because you have an inablity to turn around and look then I do not suggest them.

They are a quick install...for the most part. When the directions say "apply minor preasure and work back and forth, mirrors should slide out." That's the biggest load of :thefinger: I've ever heard. The first one would not budge with me pulling on it like an orangatang:mr-t:. I thought the second would do the same...but it came RIGHT out and now I have a black eye lol ;). Ended up using a punch, a hammer and some WD-40.

Once installed...the passenger side is utterly useless. You can see about an inch of the mirror around the dash with the doors off, andd none with the doors on. So as I said...if you want them for looks, go to it...if if you wanna use them, I'd suggest the ones that fasten to the door hinges.

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
Brackets

I just put in the Rugged Ridge Mirror Relocation brackets. If you want them for looks (aka not getting a b.s. ticket) then I'd go with them. If you want them so you have mirrors without doors because you have an inablity to turn around and look then I do not suggest them.

They are a quick install...for the most part. When the directions say "apply minor preasure and work back and forth, mirrors should slide out." That's the biggest load of :thefinger: I've ever heard. The first one would not budge with me pulling on it like an orangatang:mr-t:. I thought the second would do the same...but it came RIGHT out and now I have a black eye lol ;). Ended up using a punch, a hammer and some WD-40.

Once installed...the passenger side is utterly useless. You can see about an inch of the mirror around the dash with the doors off, andd none with the doors on. So as I said...if you want them for looks, go to it...if if you wanna use them, I'd suggest the ones that fasten to the door hinges.

X2 on what he said!! Passenger side is useless-Not to mention doesn't mount with my AEV snorkel anyway:shaking:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I extended the arm on the passenger side 2" by cutting the arm off the mount and welding 1/8" plate on the top and sides and grinding smooth; I basically extended the arm exactly as though it came from the vendor that way. A little textured spray paint from Home Depot, and I have a usable passenger side mirror. I can see about 2/3rds of the mirror with the door on.

They should come from Rugged Ridge that way in my opinion.

-Randy

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
I extended the arm on the passenger side 2" by cutting the arm off the mount and welding 1/8" plate on the top and sides and grinding smooth; I basically extended the arm exactly as though it came from the vendor that way. A little textured spray paint from Home Depot, and I have a usable passenger side mirror. I can see about 2/3rds of the mirror with the door on.

-Randy
Will give it a shot-I will need to compensate for the snorkel a little but should be doable. Thanks for the suggestion-Wonder what the engineer that designed them was thinking?:shaking:

·
Registered
78 Posts

-Randy
Pics of the modified bracket?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I left both brackets on the Passanger side and just transfer the mirror itself when doors off. Less parts to lose/bugger up this way. Just the one screw holding the mirror on to deal with. Yeah its not clean/pretty, but its functional.
Pic to follow

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I like that idea
saw someone else use washers and longer bolts to make it work with the snorkel. Btw I whacked my head really good trying to get the mirror off used a screw driver and a hammer afterwards lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have those brackets and besides having to lean a little to get a 3/4 view of the passenger side they work for what I need. I can see it being a problem for shorter peeps as my seat is all the way back. But once the doors are off it's not a problem. Just some getting use to.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I have those brackets and besides having to lean a little to get a 3/4 view of the passenger side they work for what I need. I can see it being a problem for shorter peeps as my seat is all the way back. But once the doors are off it's not a problem. Just some getting use to.
ditto. i could see backing in a traylor you might not want them but all i do is lean over a little to use the passenger side. works for me. better then giving a board cop a reason to talk to me.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Here's a picture of the modified bracket.

This makes the mirror usable for me. I can see about 3/4 of the glass from the driver's side without any extra effort. The work took about an hour an a half on a rainy Sunday--small, easy, fun project if you can weld and have a grinder.

-Randy

·
Registered
110 Posts

This makes the mirror usable for me. I can see about 3/4 of the glass from the driver's side without any extra effort. The work took about an hour an a half on a rainy Sunday--small, easy, fun project if you can weld and have a grinder.

-Randy
Those look like a good project that I will have to tackle. Decided to go back to school for the hell of it and am taking welding classes so I can work on my mods myself! :beer:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mirror Shims?

Hey guys, first post. After a longtime obsessions with Wranglers, I finally got a 2010 2DR JK. I got the Rugged Ridge mirror relocation brackets, but it seems that the mirrors changed between 2008-'10. The shims the put in the package really didn't fit, and I couldn't screw my mirrors in without it being all sloppy.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so how did you fix it? I really don't need the mirrors with the doors off, but would perfer to avoid any BS ticket. Thanks!

--Chris

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts

-Randy
Nice job-Gonna copy this one and will also see if I can accomodate the AEV snorkel while I am at it. Only minor clearance issue on the snorkel so I think It won't be too difficult-:beer:

·
Registered
48 Posts
yep

dido, only mirror i use is driver side with some over my spare and hed rest on my 08 4door. Im a boilermaker, can weld any G6. would love to add a few inches to add to my passenger side so i could use it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys, first post. After a longtime obsessions with Wranglers, I finally got a 2010 2DR JK. I got the Rugged Ridge mirror relocation brackets, but it seems that the mirrors changed between 2008-'10. The shims the put in the package really didn't fit, and I couldn't screw my mirrors in without it being all sloppy.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so how did you fix it? I really don't need the mirrors with the doors off, but would perfer to avoid any BS ticket. Thanks!

--Chris
Can anyone help me out here?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I put on a blind spot round mirror on the corner of the regular mirror on the passenger side -- solved the problem.. 2 bucks at ACE hardware

1 - 16 of 16 Posts