JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone else had problems with the six speed throwing itself out of first when they go to start off??? mine here lately when the trans gets up to operating temp when i put it in first it feels like it fully engages but when you add throttle and let out the clutch it violently throws it self out of first into neutral and sounds like the tranny is about to fall out from under the jeep. i have a 4door rubi if that makes any difference to the 2 door

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Mine does it very rarely, its pretty common.....
several threads about it.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Mine doesn't do it - at least not yet - but I've heard many others report the problem. I'm sure they'll chime in soon enough. Stealership may be able to help...

·
Registered
805 Posts
16,000 miles on mine and no problems whatsoever.

I remember reading about someone else on here complaining about the same, though. You may want to run a search.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ive got 36k on mine. would changing the tranny fluid help? no been there quite a few times to see about it and everytime they say its operator error but all ive ever driven was manuals including a NP435 with a granny gear that was like 6.37 to 1 if i remember correctly.... and it never threw out of gear

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
This has happened to me a handfull of times now too. Sometimes it feels like it'll take your hand off. I remember reading some thing about it, but can't remember what...
Agreed! I've never been holding it tight when it happens but feel like if i was my wrist would snap

·
Registered
124 Posts
Jeep has done it about 5 times to date. Always when the engine/tranny is cold, and usually because I limp shift it into first.

The last couple of times it whacked me in the palm, and it was unpleasant.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have an auto....but I've read alot of threads on this....seems to be a fairly common issue.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Not once has it happened to me- 11,800 miles.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Happened to me once because of limp wristed shift. Guy on other board got his tranny replaced under warranty for this issue.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have 12k on my 08 Ruby 4dr and never happened. The threads generally led back to a body lift kit, and how it changes the clearance in the shifter area.

·
Registered
206 Posts
12k on my '07 Rubicon. What I have experienced is going into fourth gear, limp wristed it some I guess and it has jumped out. Maybe three-four times but always when it's cold. Now I just make sure I've got it in there good.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine does it very rarely when its cold and when I half ass put it in gear and only seems to be when I just shift and release the clutch... it has never came out when it was fully engaged. Hopes this helps.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I've got 100,000 KMS on mine and nothing yet.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Pull the outer shifter boot up and take a look at the inner boot, they have been known to pop out of place, thus not allowing full engagement.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts