JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've decided to land this thread on JKO for obvious reasons, the experience of members over here is great and the tech tends to get a good bit deeper than on the other forums; frankly, I'm sure I'll need the help over the course of this build. I'm jumping right in the deep end, well over my head. This build has also been living over on JF, but with the exception of a few guys who have been contributing over there I expect to get a lot more meaningful input over here.

A bit of background: My 4x4 experience until last year has been limited. Slap a set of 32's on my old Yota to get the dogs out in the woods and hunt some quail has been about it. I've built a pretty nasty blown Z-28 that ran 10's, tinkered with my bikes, and always had a DIY attitude. I picked up my '08 2 door Rubicon in August '11 and joined a local club; I've been hooked ever sense. I laugh a bit about the "Winter" build part, the goal is to have this thing ready for my club's semi-annual trip to Rausch Creek starting on May 16th 2013. We'll see :D

Here's how it sits now:

Drivetrain:
* RIPP Gen II Supercharger
* RIPP Long Tube Headers
* Hushpower resonator
* Woods 1310 double carden drive shafts
* Front Axle: Dana 44, 4.88's, RCV's, Reid Knuckles, Synergy ball joints, Currie 1 5/8" 4130 tie rod, sleeved, gusseted inner knuckles, trussed
* Rear Axle: Dana 44, 4.88's, Ten Factory chromo shafts, trussed

Suspension:
* Rock Krawler 3.5" 3-link long arm front and rear
* 12" travel 2 5/8" RK coilovers front, 12" travel 2" RK emulsion shocks and 3.5" linear RK springs rear
* Homebrew bump stop brackets with Daystar 2" urethane bumps
* Synergy HD track bar brackets

Rolling:
* 37x12.50 Maxxis Trepador Competition Stickies
* 17x9.5" Spyderlocks @ 3.5" backspace

Armor and Recovery:
* River Raider full corners with ORO's
* River Raider sliders
* River Raider front tube fenders
* River Raider skids
* PSC Rock Brawler front and rear bumpers
* Synergy weld in roll cage
* Warn 9.5cti winch
* Cheap-o Uniden CB with a Firestick

It's one hell of a capable Jeep as it sits now, but it's time to take things to another level. Here's the build list:

* Solid Axle will be supplying a set of Dana 60's. Both are 70" wide WMS - WMS, 5.38 gears, 35 spline inner and outer shafts ARB's in both, kingpin front, RCV's, full float rear, 8 on 6.5 lugs.

* Atlas 4-speed transfer case, 4.3:1 low range, 11.70:1 overall

* 4-linking the front and rear. About 12" overall stretch, 4" front, 8" rear. Obviously this requires comp cutting, full hydro steering, and a fuel cell to name a few. 16" travel ORI STX's.

* New custom built roll cage.

I've got some pretty good shop space now and a good set of tools. I'll be running my Miller 211 MIG welder, JD2 Model 32 tube bender, Baileigh TN-250 notcher, GiantTech plasma cutter and an oxy-acetylene torch.

Project has been underway since about the beginning of November, I'll update with progress made so far in the next few posts.

Big props to cjcraig7 and Co4Lo for the builds they did. If you haven't read them, it'll give a good idea where I'm going.

cjcraig7's JKuggy build

Comp Cutting and Stretching a 2-door

·
JKO Dickhead
3,519 Posts
Nice !

Subscribed ... and i will make a trip to come see it in person when its done !

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Making some room

I decided to start under the Jeep and get the old kit out of there. POS beat to death RR skids, NP241OR, fuel tank, and my factory crossmember. EVAP system will be relocated to the rear next to the fuel cell. I've got the exhaust removed up to the Y pipe, I'll decide on how to procede with that after I start the suspension.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wire, wires, wires

Via cjcraig7's build, I know I'm going to need to make room on the inner fender wells to fit the shock hoops. I'm trying to accomplish this all while maintaining my current lift, about 4" over stock. Ideally I go ahead and finish all of this electrical bitch work before I start the suspension build.

Driver's side will include relocating the ECU and ABS back towards the firewall and I'm even going to try and find a place for the washer reservoir if there's room when it's done :flame: The good news on this side is except for (I think) one 2 wire harness, everything will be shorter when it's relocated. Lots of room there now

Passenger's side includes relocating the batteries to the trunk and the relay panel to the firewall. I'll also be mounting the PSC reservoir up on the firewall. I haven't gotten into opening up the wiring harnesses yet, but there's going to be a good bit of work on this side. There are at least two good sized harnesses that extend from the relay panel to the front which will likely need to be lengthened. A good number of this stuff is E-locker wiring and the sway bar harness, but there's also a good bit of other stuff I'll need to maintain in the harnesses.

The supercharger is also out, I'm still unsure of whether or not I'll be able to fit it back in there with the cross brace for the shock towers. Add that to the list of shit I don't know.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a happy day. Arrived at UPS depot and picked up the Atlas and a set of four 8 on 6.5 17x9.5 Spyderlocks. 40" Sticky Treps will be in shortly.

Got the front axle, steering gear, and most of the front suspension out of there and up on some jack stands. Currently on vacation in NC, I'll be back to work on this about 1/7.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice !

Subscribed ... and i will make a trip to come see it in person when its done !
Feel free to stop by the shop and check it out some time. I live up in Somerville but I ended up leasing a shop in Brockton for my toys. I was able to get a 4 bay garage for what people are charging for a single car space in the Boston area :cwm13:

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow id love to swing by the shop, in newton myself. so, is that transfer case going to be for sale? :th_pray: cant wait to see this when its done, next time you do a run let me know!
I wish I could help you but that transfer case sold before I got it out of the jeep. Listed on the NEOW classifieds and had about 15 full price offers ($1000) the same day I listed it. Should have charged more :D

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Wow. Sounds awesome. 6 speed or auto?

·
JKO Dickhead
3,519 Posts
Feel free to stop by the shop and check it out some time. I live up in Somerville but I ended up leasing a shop in Brockton for my toys. I was able to get a 4 bay garage for what people are charging for a single car space in the Boston area :cwm13:
I very well may do that. let me know if you ever need a hand ! nice job on the four bay garage too !

AND - let me know what parts coming off will be for sale ! can save you the shipping !

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow. Sounds awesome. 6 speed or auto?
Six gears of minivan fury

I very well may do that. let me know if you ever need a hand ! nice job on the four bay garage too !

AND - let me know what parts coming off will be for sale ! can save you the shipping !
Tons of stuff coming off. RR skids, Reid knuckles (think I have the axles sold except for the knuckles,) RK long arm, 12" travel RK coilovers, lots of RK stuff really... Might even be possible to salvage the Synergy roll cage if I cut it out carefully.

1/7 - 1/19 will be a lot of work going on, I'll let you know what I have going on, an extra set of hands is always appreciated and I keep the mini fridge stocked!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Six gears of minivan fury

Tons of stuff coming off. RR skids, Reid knuckles (think I have the axles sold except for the knuckles,) RK long arm, 12" travel RK coilovers, lots of RK stuff really... Might even be possible to salvage the Synergy roll cage if I cut it out carefully.

1/7 - 1/19 will be a lot of work going on, I'll let you know what I have going on, an extra set of hands is always appreciated and I keep the mini fridge stocked!
why are you cutting out the cage? going full retard, or you just didnt like the color lol.

also, god damn it, why are you pulling all these parts while im broke :thefinger: let me know if those wheels havnt sold yet; everytime i see a set for sale there on the west coast or something!

if you dont mind a retard who doesnt know the pointy side of a welder, id love to come check things out and lend a hand

·
Vendor
2,324 Posts
why are you cutting out the cage? going full retard, or you just didnt like the color lol.

also, god damn it, why are you pulling all these parts while im broke :thefinger: let me know if those wheels havnt sold yet; everytime i see a set for sale there on the west coast or something!

if you dont mind a retard who doesnt know the pointy side of a welder, id love to come check things out and lend a hand
I was talking with him last night about you and Tom. You guys are so close I can't believe you have not got together on some of these builds!

-Jason

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I was talking with him last night about you and Tom. You guys are so close I can't believe you have not got together on some of these builds!

-Jason
well I dont blame anyone for not having me over, I'm pretty sure when I went to visit tom last time he fell off a ladder! I break everytime i touch! :suicide: but yeah, I had no idea there were other hardcore folks in the area

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.