JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had a "boaty" feeling felt at highway speeds and a little extra body roll at lower speeds I've been trying to trouble shoot.

I unhooked a swaybar link to make sure the rubi swaybar motor had the swaybar connected. It does but there is some play in the swaybar at the motor. When I pull up and down on the swaybar you can see the swaybar motor moving, probably at least a quarter inch or so.

Is this normal?

edit: here is the video

http://youtu.be/cTJSE9W2OPM

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Normal.

The motor can rotate around the bar easily. It is only a concern if each side moves independently.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normal.

The motor can rotate around the bar easily. It is only a concern if each side moves independently.
Thanks. I put the video link up, see if this is normal.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Make sure your sway bar links are the proper length for your lift. Sway bars should sit parallel to the ground while parked on a flat surface. This will cause "sway" at highway speeds and a strange feel when leaning into turns in town.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Make sure the components listed in this picture are present, connected, and are preventing the disco motor from rotating. If all is well, you're good to go.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Looked at the video. If the bar is moving it is a bit much and shouldn't have the metallic sound. The Disconnect/motor assembly should move a little but feel squishy and have no metallic clunk due to the way the anti-rotation is mounted.

I'd say you may have some play in the link ends.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make sure the components listed in this picture are present, connected, and are preventing the disco motor from rotating. If all is well, you're good to go.

I'll see if I can shoot the video of the swaybar moving from the other side as shown in this picture. The play seems to bee from the rubber piece that is attached to the "anti rotational hanger".

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if your getting a boating feeling, i would check the alignment, especially the toe-in.
Yep, it's spot on.

I wonder if I should lengthen my sway bar links a little. Here they sit now.

Actually, now that I look at it...they are a little upward and not exactly parallel to the ground.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sway bar looks perfect...

do you have any adjustable control arms?

maybe your light on your caster angle
RK arms. I could be a little light on castor.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yep, it's spot on.

I wonder if I should lengthen my sway bar links a little. Here they sit now.

Actually, now that I look at it...they are a little upward and not exactly parallel to the ground.
I would try to get closer to parallel. It might not be all of your problem but being in the correct never hurts! Good luck with the solution!

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
I wouldn't shorten them.
I always try to have a slight amount of up angle on the arms at ride height.
Especially if you are set up for lots of droop.
With flexy susp and lots of droop, they can still get into the hyperextension danger zone if set to flat. That pic looks about perfect as far as what I tune sway bar links to on a rubi.

If you have manual discos, parallel is fine. Since the links aren't connected during full articulation.
Or with an anti-rock flat is fine because the arms themselves are longer.
That's what I would call "correct" for flexy susp and an e-disco rubi bar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.