JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi - a JK Newbie, here.

I just took delivery on a JKU Sport S last week, so since mine didn't come with any, I bought someone's Rubicon take-off side rails. I was amazed with their weight (as compared to the 3/16 4x4 tubes that I had put on my XJ). So since the time that I picked them up, today, I have wondered, "What is the main reason for replacing these?" I had figured that it might be because they just didn't have much substance, but these seem pretty strong. Is it perhaps the attachment? Are others stronger, but lighter?

This is going to primarily be a DD and a get me into the woods car - not a rock crawler. Thanks, forum, for any insight.

JS

·
Registered
275 Posts
After market options are stronger and offer better protection, that said I have been thoroughly impressed with the stock rocker guards on my Rubicon. I have dragged them over a lot of rocks and they haven't showed any signs of damage other than getting scratched up. No damage at all to my tub either.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Its mostly the mounting points. There is too much flex in them. If you put them into the rocks hard they will push up into the body. That usually does not produce major damage, but it can.

Aftermarket sliders (well most anyway) do not flex nearly as much.

You can add tub armor which will spread the load when those rubi rails get pushed into the tub. But if all you are doing is light wheeling, you will be fine.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Its mostly the mounting points. There is too much flex in them. If you put them into the rocks hard they will push up into the body. That usually does not produce major damage, but it can.

Aftermarket sliders (well most anyway) do not flex nearly as much.

You can add tub armor which will spread the load when those rubi rails get pushed into the tub. But if all you are doing is light wheeling, you will be fine.
What he said.

·
Registered
250 Posts
As stated previously the rubi rails flex alot mounted stock. I picked up a set of OR-Fab rocker armor and it definitely helps stiffen up the rubi rails nicely. I can lay into the sliders with little worry now and use them as a legitimate lifting point for a hi lift.

·
Registered
359 Posts
What he said.
X2. The stock sliders on the JK held up to more abuse that the stock ones I had on my old LJ, though with that being said, the stock sliders on my JK were trashed after a years worth of wheeling (sometimes you just have to use your sliders as pivot points on the rocks and they tend not to like that). For what you're going to be doing, you should be fine.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I will admit, I want new sliders, but so far I am impressed with how well these stockers are holding up, & what they have taken. I thought for sure I was going to have some bent up sheet metal and they did their job well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sold my Rubi rockers and installed the JCR's much beefier and added a step for the wife. I am thinking about a rocker "guard" of some sort like the Poison Spyder or OR-Fab.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I will admit, I want new sliders, but so far I am impressed with how well these stockers are holding up, & what they have taken. I thought for sure I was going to have some bent up sheet metal and they did their job well.
Same here. I've used mine to jack my jeep up with a hi-lift multiple times, pivoted on rocks with them, dragged them across rocks, etc. They're scratched to hell but haven't suffered any serious damage. I think I finally dented the passenger one a little bit on my last trip, but it didn't transfer any damage to the body. I am thoroughly impressed with them In fact they are probably the only thing on the rig I'm not disappointed in Jeep over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts