JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While coming off the Rubicon Trail yesterday afternoon, we saw a crashed jeep at Ellis Creek. The overall Jeep looked ok but the windshield was completely shattered and a Sheriff had one person isolated and was asking questions.

Later on when we were airing up at the Chalet, a fellow jeeper asked if we had heard someone died at Ellis Creek last night. We had not heard, but apparently the jeep we saw was the jeep that crashed.

The person who gave us the update was told the crash happened around 3am PDT (assuming the morning May 29th) and it occurred at Ellis Creek. Ellis Creek seems like a fairly safe area with no steep drops or anything, so not sure where the person could have got into trouble.

We did see a CHP helicopter leaving the Chalet just after we arrived to air up our tires - this was around 2pm I think. I searched some sites but have not found any details related to accident. Hopefully, there was no fatality.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just found a thread on Pirate4x4 under chit chat. My buddy who is a fireman also just confirmed there was a fatality and he heard it occurred around 4am at Ellis Creek. Super sad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
While coming off the Rubicon Trail yesterday afternoon, we saw a crashed jeep at Ellis Creek. The overall Jeep looked ok but the windshield was completely shattered and a Sheriff had one person isolated and was asking questions.

Later on when we were airing up at the Chalet, a fellow jeeper asked if we had heard someone died at Ellis Creek last night. We had not heard, but apparently the jeep we saw was the jeep that crashed.

The person who gave us the update was told the crash happened around 3am PDT (assuming the morning May 29th) and it occurred at Ellis Creek. Ellis Creek seems like a fairly safe area with no steep drops or anything, so not sure where the person could have got into trouble.

We did see a CHP helicopter leaving the Chalet just after we arrived to air up our tires - this was around 2pm I think. I searched some sites but have not found any details related to accident. Hopefully, there was no fatality.
The roll over was just before 2 am, just east of Ellis creek.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sad to hear, regardless of the cause.

Any other details? Was it a JK? Might be something to be learned from pictures, as a slow roll over is what most of us are likely to encounter. There were pictures from a roll over not long ago of collapsed rear tubes that was enlightening.

·
Random Dude
3,041 Posts
Sad to hear, regardless of the cause.
Agreed. Sad, and most likely preventable.

Any other details? . . . Might be something to be learned . . .
What I gathered from the thread on Pirate is that the driver was not wearing a seat belt.

Regardless of any vehicle driving or design lessons to be learned, lesson #1 is: USE YOUR SAFETY EQUIPMENT!

·
Registered
2 Posts
always be sure to wear your seat belt.... most of the fatalities i've seen up there have been from people forgetting to put there seat belts on... during a roll over always hang on, never ever put your hand out the window...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ok so this is what happened... Approximately 1:30am Sunday I hear someone frantically yelling Mark,"Mark with the ham radio " i was sleeping so i was a little out of it..so I said hold on be right there. I came out of my tent and this guy was freaking out saying we need a life flight my friend rolled his jeep.. Can you get help?isaid I'll try so I got on the radio and called out with no response so he jumped in his jeep to go get help. A few minutes later someone else was calling me for help so I tried calling out again finally someone reported back and was able to reach someone with a land line after 45 minutes or so a sheriff was supposed to meet at the fireroad gate in one hour (life flight was called off being he was deciesed and the passenger was declining medical treatment. Plus there wasn't anywhere close to land. So a hour passed by no help arrived so I went to bed there was nothing else i could do. About 10:30-11:00 the sherriff came with the jeep. The reason for being late was the fireroad was snowed in on the other side. I'm pretty sure alcohol played a huge role and not wearing his seat belt was the cause( he was pretty lit around 6-7pm earlier) so yes it was sad and the next time you tell yourself I'm just cruising on a flat road that was what he was doing when he decided to turn around... Here is a perfect example for getting your ham license.. As for the passenger he seemed ok the next morning and he was wearing his belt. Sorry for the long story just giving the facts...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
This just popped up on my facebook page today...

The post was from May 30... So very sad.

This is the hardest thing to post, in the early morning on Sunday Justin was involved in a roll over on the Rubicon trail unfortunately he wasn't wearing his seat belt and didn't survive, just a simple mistake turned our whole world upside down, I loved this man more then anything, we were getting married this summer on the trail, he worked his ass off to give us everything and more he was the best Father and step father I could wish for, I am grateful for 10 yrs of being by your side, RIP babe I love you, I'm sure your kickin it with the old man having some beer. Please feel free to share any memory's with us

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's a shame that no one stopped him from going.
There was more to the story he wasn't in our group he was friends of friends in the camp we were at and out of respect im leaving the drama that happened earlier out.... I didn't know him. Very sad and looks bad (just more ammo for people trying to shut places like this down...) by the looks of his rig and talking to his friends he was a experienced wheeler. Once again very sad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My cousin was in an accident. She was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the vehicle which caught on fire. Since then she has refused to wear a seat belt. My nephew is a deputy sheriff and tells me about many people not wearing a seat belt who were ejected and killed. He has never seen an accident where a seat belt contributed to a fatality.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My cousin was in an accident. She was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the vehicle which caught on fire. Since then she has refused to wear a seat belt. My nephew is a deputy sheriff and tells me about many people not wearing a seat belt who were ejected and killed. He has never seen an accident where a seat belt contributed to a fatality.
Did you read the post? He WAS NOT wearing his seatbelt! Or he probably would of walked away with a few cuts/bruises

1 - 14 of 14 Posts