JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have to replace the u-joint on my front drive shaft and now I am having an awful metal on metal grinding noise and a vibration at 45+ mph... The shaft is a RE1883-365 and I replaced the joint with a Spicer 5-153x..... Anyone have issues or know of what to do? I'm freaking out......

Sent from my iPhone 5!

· Registered
3,510 Posts
So I have to replace the u-joint on my front drive shaft and now I am having an awful metal on metal grinding noise and a vibration at 45+ mph... The shaft is a RE1883-365 and I replaced the joint with a Spicer 5-153x..... Anyone have issues or know of what to do? I'm freaking out......

Sent from my iPhone 5!
Pull it back out and double check every thing. Rotate the joint and feel if its rotating smoothe. Did you mark it to get it back the same way it was balanced and it's not 180 out. Did you tap the yoakes with a hammer to seat the joint. Good luck.

· Registered
5,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pull it back out and double check every thing. Rotate the joint and feel if its rotating smoothe. Did you mark it to get it back the same way it was balanced and it's not 180 out. Did you tap the yoakes with a hammer to seat the joint. Good luck.
I had pep boys install the the joint in to the shaft... They greased everything and then I installed the shaft... I drove from Florida to New York and have been driving without the shaft for about 2 weeks and didn't mark where the shaft was... This stinks......

Sent from my iPhone 5!

· Registered
3,510 Posts
It shouldn't matter if the rear and the t case aren't in the original spots. I was talking about the yoke, as the shaft is balanced as a unit. Was it Manny, Moe, or Jack do it. We all know Jack don't know shit!

· Registered
5,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It shouldn't matter if the rear and the t case aren't in the original spots. I was talking about the yoke, as the shaft is balanced as a unit. Was it Manny, Moe, or Jack do it. We all know Jack don't know shit!
Yeah that's what I mean... The front yoke wasnt marked. And I hope it was moe! Haha manny is an ass!

Sent from my iPhone 5!

· Registered
5,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So found out that the ball in the cv joint went bad and that is what was making all the noise... The vibration was the slip yoke where the shaft extends is bad... $250 to rebuild the shaft....

Sent from my iPhone 5!

· Registered
5,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And it isn't warranteed.... I bought this damn shaft in July and now I'll be spending about the same amount I did ok the shaft to rebuild it... I'm buying another shaft... Different brand...

Sent from my iPhone 5!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.