JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have some detailed pics of flipping the E-disco for more ground clearance. I know you can buy plates, but I'm wondering if anyone has done it without buying the plate.:beer:

· Registered
30 Posts
I rotated the e-disco motor this week! You don't need a plate. Sorry, no pics right now.
All I did was:
1. remove the bolt from the rubber isolator
2. find a nut in a parts bin that would thread onto it
3. rotate the motor up until I found one of the other bolt heads that lined up well with the rubber isolator
4. removed this bolt from the e-disco and weld the new nut onto the head of the bolt
5. put the modified bolt back on
6. use the original bolt from #1 to go through the rubber isolator and thread into the nut

It took like 10 min. tops, and if I need to, I can quickly put the e-disco back into factory position in 2 min.

· Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guy's I'll probably do a write up with picks soon, but Calc2 is kicking my ass. So I've had to save my brain cell for intergration. I think this site could use one.

· Registered
6,372 Posts
there's a write up with pics on the other board by julietkilo.
Yeah, I met him the other day at the juv diabetes car show, really nice guy and I enjoyed hanging out and crushing a car with him, unfortunately he is totally brainwashed by the edster and wanted to hear no part of the truth :(

· Registered
1,296 Posts
I rotated the e-disco motor this week! You don't need a plate. Sorry, no pics right now.
All I did was:
1. remove the bolt from the rubber isolator
2. find a nut in a parts bin that would thread onto it
3. rotate the motor up until I found one of the other bolt heads that lined up well with the rubber isolator
4. removed this bolt from the e-disco and weld the new nut onto the head of the bolt
5. put the modified bolt back on
6. use the original bolt from #1 to go through the rubber isolator and thread into the nut

It took like 10 min. tops, and if I need to, I can quickly put the e-disco back into factory position in 2 min.
have any pictures of all this?

· Registered
915 Posts
I did mine yesterday. Woods has some pics of his. I did almost the same as him. Works great. I bought a 4.5 inch 10mm bolt at homedepot and a nut to fit. Make sure you cut the fastener that is holding the wire.

· Registered
915 Posts
Very simple. You just have to unbolt the 4 screws that hold your sway bar. Remove 2 bolts from the disco. Turn the motor up. Put in your new bolt. It is so high up there you really have to look to see it now. Sorry no before pix but you can look at yours to see how much it sticks out. I drilled the threads out of the nut just to the point where it barely fits over the threads. Should probably weld it on, but I don't weld. When I get a chance I will do that.

By the way the metal part at the bottom of the disco is the part that holds the electrical. Just cut the fastener and flip the motor.

· Registered
78 Posts
Please explain I don't understand what this will do. I have been in the Diesel seen for the last 11Years just got back into Jeeps.I have two JKs 1 Sahara 1Rubicon. Thanks for the HELP on this J,C,

· Registered
6,372 Posts
Please explain I don't understand what this will do. I have been in the Diesel seen for the last 11Years just got back into Jeeps.I have two JKs 1 Sahara 1Rubicon. Thanks for the HELP on this J,C,
Your Rubicon has an electronic sway bar disconnect
The motor that makes it work hangs down in the front and is in a vulnerable location.
Rocks, water etc can make life rough on your disco motor

with a little work and some simple fabrication, you can rotate the motor up farther out of the way so it takes deeper water or a rock getting higher into the frame to damage it.

· Registered
78 Posts
Thanks guys for the help i see how this would be a Great move.

· Registered
915 Posts
It would be great if you could add those here. Some of us are IP banned from www.JKForum.com so can't see the write ups there.

Thanks.

Did you see my pix? Not much more than that.
1 Go to home depot and buy the 10mm 4.5in bolt
2 Unscrew the 4 bolts holding the sway bar
3 Unscrew the bolt attached to the rubber isolator or whatever it's called.
4 Unscrew the bolt above the wire harness and remove the wire attached to the motor.
5 Rotate the motor up. It's a very tight fit.
6 Screw the 10mm bolt in. The idea of putting a nut on the bolt is so it provides the same function as the removed bolt. If you can weld I would weld it on.
7 Reattach the sway bar.

Sorry I didn't take more pix but if you have any questions let me know. Its really easy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.