JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a leaky rear axle seal ~2,000 miles after my gear swap. :bawling:

Thinking of using this opportunity to upgrade my axle shafts "while I'm in there". :beer:

I've searched & searched and found several write ups on the Superior shafts for the Rubicons. Marcus has offered me a good price for them too. :bounce:

But my question is: what else is out there? What else are you guys running?

I plan to stick with my 35's. I wheel using my brain, not my right foot. I've had a D60 in my CJ7 - sticking with the D44 on this Rubicon. Just wanting to know what else is out there & what y'all recommend...??

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
I'm running Superior rear axles but I'm also a fan of Yukon.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am running Ten Factory in the Frt and Rear on 38" KM2's

·
Premium Member
15,330 Posts
Kinda OT, but fwiw.......I bent a rear axle tube with 35's, running at places like K-Rocks, and Longs. Wasn't bent too bad....and shafts were fine except where you could see that the one had been rubbing on the tube....but now I'm running a truss back there, as well as LCA skids and a weld-on Poly Performance rear track-bar bracket. Just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
625 Posts
why not take the opportunity to go full float 35/40 spline with 1ton UB's!!!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. Looks like a good assortment. Anyone have pros / cons of what they chose?

StubEXrube - thanks for that. I've added a rear truss to my 'must do' list.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I ran ten shafts on my old 44 no issues
Shafts, evo rock stars, diff cover if you don't have one and a truss if u plan on keeping the 44

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Running the Superiors. Happy with 'em.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Unfortunately, we hear about (and see) a lot of rear JK 44 gear failures. This is much more common on Unlimiteds. On Unlimiteds with 37"+ tires I'd seriously consider a rear axle assembly upgrade.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just installed Ten factory ones. I talked to a vendor that also sold superior axles, he said the Tens are better and come with a 10 year warranty.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ran ten shafts on my old 44 no issues
Shafts, evo rock stars, diff cover if you don't have one and a truss if u plan on keeping the 44
I have Poly rear lower brackets to install. Got any info on why the evo rock stars are better/ different / same?

Unfortunately, we hear about (and see) a lot of rear JK 44 gear failures. This is much more common on Unlimiteds. On Unlimiteds with 37"+ tires I'd seriously consider a rear axle assembly upgrade.
Thanks for chiming in Dynatrac. I agree. 37's & up need a D60, for sure - just like on my CJ. (My opinion only - no flames!) I'm staying with 35's & hoping just to beef the 44 enough to keep it reliable. No air time here either.

I just installed Ten factory ones. I talked to a vendor that also sold superior axles, he said the Tens are better and come with a 10 year warranty.
Warranty is a good point I hadn't considered. But who is Ten Factory & will they be around in 10 years to honor that warranty?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The grade of the metal used?

4140 Chromoly in the Alloy USA
4340 Chromoly in the Superior

Or 10 year warranty vs lifetime?
And Ten Factory looks like it might be 1541H High Manganese Alloy. Can't tell for sure. Of course, I couldn't find the reference that the above axles were made with that alloy either - only that they use that alloy, among others. Superior's kit says "made from premium alloys".

From what I can tell 4340 is higher strength. I can't find the Superior warranty information anywhere..searched their site & downloaded their catalog too. I see it says "lifetime warranty" on their product page - but would like to know what that covers.

Still, I'm leaning heavily toward Superior. :beer:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts