JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 35's are wearing out and the JK says "stuff 37's under me" :laughing: But the 30 front is NOT 37 friendly. so here is my delema.
I do NOT make a shatload of cash and the JK is my DD more than my offroad toy (I have an other vehicle for that) But the JK must be able to hang when I do take it off-road. Here is the options I have come up with:

Rubi axles front and rear, re-gear to 4.88/5.13 (leaning to 5.13)

Rubi axle front, lunchbox locker the rear HD44, re-gear
(the carrier break for the "new" 44's is 4.10 right?)

Aftermarket?

I have no clue who has bolt on non-omfg$$$$$ axles for the JK. I will NOT be competing this rig and I do not have the cash for some of the more high end axles.
My worry is with the lunchbox/detroit in the rear is the traction control will get stupid with normal driving.

Feel free to give input/advice.

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
if you aren't crazy off-roading it, you may be alright just putting alloys in? if you aren't comfortable with that, why not just a front 44, and alloy rears? do you really need the rubi 44?

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you aren't crazy off-roading it, you may be alright just putting alloys in? if you aren't comfortable with that, why not just a front 44, and alloy rears? do you really need the rubi 44?
I am not a "show, no go" person so lockers were in the works anyway. Hence the rubi axles. Front selectable is pretty much needed but I can get away with a detroit/ausi rear if the electronics won't have a fit. But a selectable rear would be nice.

Shoving alloys in a 30 is turd polishing :laughing:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
have you ever driven a jeep with a lunchbox/auto locker in the rear on the street? i have, and would not do it again. some are better than others, i'll submit, but i wouldn't recommend any of them for a jeep that sees daily driving....especially if it ever drives in snow/ice/rain.

other people will disagree with me, but that's just imho.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have you ever driven a jeep with a lunchbox/auto locker in the rear on the street? i have, and would not do it again. some are better than others, i'll submit, but i wouldn't recommend any of them for a jeep that sees daily driving....especially if it ever drives in snow/ice/rain.

other people will disagree with me, but that's just imho.
yes. I drove a suzuki sammi with a spool for 3 years in New England winter, a CJ5 with a detroit for 2 years in SoCAl and then 4 years in Maryland.

Driving a locked vehicle on the street is not hard or dangerous to me in any weather or conditions.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
:wink_animate:like i said, some people disagree with me!! (as hard as that is to believe) i just couldn't ever get used to it. maybe i would have with more time.

if you don't mind driving with an auto locker, then that is the route i think you should take. put the spool in the rear and just swap out your front with the rubicon D44!:grinpimp: i loved my detroit and lockrite on the trail!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am not a "show, no go" person so lockers were in the works anyway. Hence the rubi axles. Front selectable is pretty much needed but I can get away with a detroit/ausi rear if the electronics won't have a fit. But a selectable rear would be nice.

Shoving alloys in a 30 is turd polishing :laughing:
if you are wheeling the hell out of it, then yeah, grab a set of rubi axles. i wouldn't trust the electronics not to freak all the hell out when a full-time locker spools and unloads.

you could do it and tell us! :grinpimp:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts