JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rubber seal along the bottom edge of my rear window ( hard-top) has split and it's allowing water to come into the interior.

Ideally the seal needs to be replaced but I'm trying to avoid that.

Can anyone recommend a good quality ( strong, waterproof, flexible) adhesive/ sealant that is safe to use on soft rubber?

Thank you for your input. :beer:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Sika 1a is good. Bonds rubber, sticks to glass. (And everything else it touches) comes in black, comes in mini and regular tubes. Its a polyurethane.
I use xylene to tool it and clean up. Some guys use dish soap for tooling but that might degrade its performance.
Depending on your experience with caulking you might want to tape off the surrounding area with green frog tape. Just make sure you strip the tape off before initial set or you'll have a line of encapsulated tape.
Not that cheap, and xylene isn't healthy.

·
Registered
399 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies.

I will try to find the Sika 1a and go from there. I hadn't considered Shoe-Goo but I have had good results with it in other applications.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked everywhere locally for the Sika but couldn't find it anywhere... automotive stores, home depot, etc. I found it online but in the meantime found something else that looked promising...

3M black super-strength weatherstrip adhesive. Advertised as "fast drying/ exceptional bond strength/ firmly bonds gaskets, weatherstripping, and seals/ water resistant."

Methyl ethyl ketone/ phenolic resin complex/ polychloroprene/ hexane/ toluene/ heptane/ magnesium oxide/ methylcyclopentane/ methylpentane/ xylene/ carbon black/ rosin/ ethylbenzrne/ benzene/ formaldehyde.

A little apprehensive to use it though. Worried that it might degrade soft rubber.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
amazon.com will ship to your door. The amazon app lists 12 Sika 1a sources.
I hesitate to substitute a product with known quality/reactions for one which is "available".
From air nails to contact cement and everything in between, it never works out that well for me.
That said, maybe your luck with alternatives will be better than mine. 3m is a top tier supplier.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After searching Amazon, all I could find was the limestone and in full size caulking tubes. They were out of black in the smaller size tubes with no estimate of when it would be or if it would be back in stock.

If I could find the black Sika 1a in a small tube then I would buy it, but so far no luck anywhere. Thinking of contacting Sika direct... idk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts