JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished installing the skid plate kit yesterday. It went as smoothy as the write up here says it can be. Having a second set of hands around for the gas tank plate is a big help. The rest can be done pretty easily solo.

The next skid to go in is the PS evap skid plate.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll let you know the first time it saves me money.
The dude that did the write said it improved his highway MPG. I won't get a chance to verify that for a while since my commute to work is only 7 miles. But have a camping trip coming this summer that will test the highway MPG.
Makes some sense though since the bottom has a smoother air flow profile now.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
I did the writeup and I still have no idea how a couple hundred pounds of steel improved my gas mileage :laughing: but ya, it did

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,085 Posts
Drag coeffiecent or something like that. Ok I just made that up. But it kinda makes sense, look at it like a formula 1 car with a slick bottom to get top speed. Now you don't have all the air hanging out under the jeep it has a smooth surface to flow. Lets call Mythbusters and find out why.

Also believe me those things are stout. They saved my Xfer case and gas tank the 1st time out. The only pain I found was the bolts at the back of the trans skid and the front drivers side bolt on the xfer case skid. Getting fingers in there to hold the nut while tightening the bolt is a pain but managable. RR helped out with the flange nuts it makes it a lot easier to install.

One last thing you might wanna search on here for the Fumoto drain valve. I put mine in before I put the skids on to help with oil changes. Some say it don't fit. Mine did. If you want a pic of mine let me know.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ Uncle. You are correct. The flow dynamics are improved with the skid plate kit. Not as many pockets and edges to create drag increasing turbulence. Smoother air flow=less resistance. Probably quiets the ride at speed too.

·
22,085 Posts
I think it actually got louder since part of the exhaust is captured by the skid plates now.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Yeah ...mine got very loud and caused a lot of vibrations. I took the tranny skid off and am looking for ways to move the exhaust crosspipe up about 2 inches.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Is this rattling a problem that many have? I'm going to ditch my current home built set up that is starting to suck and go with this system I think. I like the look and seems to work from what I have read but this is the first I'm hearing of these issues. I dont really care about a few rattles if the product works well and is good quality.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
The skids are awesome ...most have the noise and rattle. There's ways to raise the cross pipe to get rid of the vibration. You need to heat the welded exhaust support bars and bend them a bit ... think there's also a couple bolts attaching the exhaust tube to the body. I've been told there are spacers you can remove to lift the pipe a bit.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The skids are awesome ...most have the noise and rattle. There's ways to raise the cross pipe to get rid of the vibration. You need to heat the welded exhaust support bars and bend them a bit ... think there's also a couple bolts attaching the exhaust tube to the body. I've been told there are spacers you can remove to lift the pipe a bit.

Good info Thanks I know who i'll be calling tomorrow. Marcus that is. <----That guy was more worried about the shafts I ordered from him than I was..

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So far I have no noises or rattling. Not a peep.
I found that the easiest way to secure the bushing bolt that ties the tranny skid to the oil pan skid is a butterfly air impact. Small enough to fit in the space and made quick work of the bolt. It takes a long time if you use a ratchet.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Silly me. I forgot to measure the base line ground clearance at the t-case skid plate before I started my Rubi mods.
Measures 15.5" now.
Anyone know what the ground clearance at the skid plate is on a stock JKUR?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Total clearance gain is 6.5" over stock Rubi

So I measured the clearance on a stock Rubi at the T-Case skid. 8.5 to 9".
That means I gained a total of 6.5" from the RK 2.5" lift, ~2.5" from the 37's (actually measured 36.5" under load), that leaves about 1.5" clearance gain from the RROR skid plates.
This is while adding probably 250 to 300 pounds of steel bumpers and armor.
I can improve clearance a little more when I successfully lose 120 pounds :D

·
Research, bro!
2,220 Posts
Good to note I'm not the only one. I must of had a late Friday build or something. :shaking: Exhaust cross pipe on the driver side half is about 1/4" lower than my cross member. Went back to the stock skid until I see how much a muffler shop is going to charge me to chop and raise that portion.

The oil pan portion is sure purty though! :D

FYI, Kenny told me factory spec has the pipe running 1/4" above the length of the cross member.

·
22,085 Posts
I put a 1/8 inch washer on the driver side trannie pan to pull it away from the crossover pipe just enough.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mine has no rattle or noise either, but i didnt do the install ,the guys at river raider did
How much did they charge for the install?
I'm sure it doesn't take them as long as it did more me to do it. Plus they can do it with there eyes closed. :D
Took me about 6 hours including a break for lunch and clean up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts