JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with a 6sp figured out where their RPM sweet spot is for the best MPG? I haven't changed my gears yet and I am currently running around 1800 RPM's at 65 in 6th gear. I have noticed that I am a little harder on the skinny pedal while running lower RPM's. I wonder if it would be better for my MPG to simply stay in 5th and run at around 2300 RPMs and be easier on the pedal. :shaking:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Although I have an auto, I also run at around 1800 at 65mph. I find that keeping it in that 1800 to 2000 rpm range really is the sweet spot for MPG... I used to drive 35 mile a day to work 3x a week for the past year, so I had some experience with it...

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
mine likes 2200 rpm or so. I'd imagine everyone's is going to vary with axle ratio and tire sizes. I also drive on nothing flat for my daily commute.

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
913 Posts
around town, 3rd and 50/60km (35/40m?) is tough, but 62km & 4th seems ok (RPMs around 1500). 60km + 3rd (up hill) seems bad, but 50km seems okay... ?? I don't do much highway driving... but when I do, I usually try to keep the RPMs under 2500.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After a little more than a year of experimenting I've found that generally shifting earlier than normal to keep the RPMs lower is best for my MPG (4 door, rubicon, 6sp). I've gotten it to 18.7 MPG. Of course its much less fun to drive like that unless you like watching the mpg display and improving mpg.

·
Registered
510 Posts
150% dependant on grade/ wind. If you find yourself pushing down harder on 6th, shift down, myguideline is, if you have to push on the skinny, to keep the same speed, you should shift down

1 - 6 of 6 Posts