JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have this happen to them? My 2010 is running ok but idling rough (around 4-500 RPM's) and the check engine light came on today but when I checked for codes it hadn't recorded any. I'm gonna take it into the shop tomorrow just wanted to see if there was any easy fixes I could try before I take it in...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Did you use a code reader? Or did you use the JK's self-reader?
Some codes don't show with the self-reader.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
Anyone have this happen to them? My 2010 is running ok but idling rough (around 4-500 RPM's) and the check engine light came on today but when I checked for codes it hadn't recorded any. I'm gonna take it into the shop tomorrow just wanted to see if there was any easy fixes I could try before I take it in...

Thanks!
Back around 35k miles, my 2010 started having an occasional rough idle, and it died once or twice at stoplights.
I cleaned the throttle body and swapped out the spark plugs and PCV valve, and that shaped it up.

A year or so ago, I had a crappy-ish idle resulting from a cracked exhaust manifold (new manifold fixed it).

That's all I have to offer. My shitbox has been relatively trouble-free (until I jinxed it by typing this :shitstorm: ).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine is doing the same. I checked the throttle body and it seems pretty dirty. I'm going to try the same thing and clean it and throw some new plugs in there as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just pulled the air intake off and stuck a paper towel in there and it came out with a lot of black. I had a similar problem on a dodge truck with it surging at idle and I sprayed it all out with electronics cleaner. That cleared up the problem then so that's my plan now, too.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had the same problem earlier this year. I went to the stealership and walked out with some Mopar throttler body cleaner (part# 04897156AC) for free.99 and it worked great. I pulled the throttle body and sprayed both sides off. I also used some Seafoam and cleaned out the top end too.

·
Super Moderator
6,194 Posts
I just pulled the air intake off and stuck a paper towel in there and it came out with a lot of black. I had a similar problem on a dodge truck with it surging at idle and I sprayed it all out with electronics cleaner. That cleared up the problem then so that's my plan now, too.
Only different sggtn I'd make is not to use paper towels ; ya don't want anything tearable in the throttle body because the butterfly valve edges are sharp enough to cause paper to tear if it closes on the 'quicker-picker-upper" rag. Use of shop towel or old T-shirt doused w\ the throttle body cleaner a better option ....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts