JKOwners Forum banner

Rough Country 2.2 Vs. Bilsteins 5100's

• Stick with the Bilsteins

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • RC 2.2 all the way

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Who need shocks, just fry up some bacon.

Votes: 4 11.4%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much know which direction Im going to go in... but looking for input on the Rough Country 2.2 shocks vs. the Bilstein 5100. At almost 60% of the cost of the Bilsteins, they are enticing.

Whats the general consensus? Are they good shocks? or should I go with Bilsteins?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have never had the Bilstien's so I can't speak for them, someone else may be able to talk from both sides of the fence.

As for me I have the Rough Countrys, and they'll about rattle your teeth out if the pavement isn't smooth as glass. They're impressive off in the rocks though.

When I save up enough pennies, and it becomes a big enough priority, I'll probly go with the Bilstiens

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,653 Posts
Don't waste your money on the Rough Country 2.2s. I ran them on my wife's Jeep and they lasted less than 15K miles. Completely blown out to where the piston shaft would move freely in and out when you turned them upside down/right side up.

I sell Bilsteins for $337 delivered for a set of 4. Don't know what kind of price you've seen on them.

Marcus

·
Registered
192 Posts
Don't waste your money on the Rough Country 2.2s. I ran them on my wife's Jeep and they lasted less than 15K miles. Completely blown out to where the piston shaft would move freely in and out when you turned them upside down/right side up.

I sell Bilsteins for $337 delivered for a set of 4. Don't know what kind of price you've seen on them.

Marcus
love the bilsteins great ride on the hwy and plenty of travel off but all depends on the rest of the supension your running them with with i have the rk 3.5 x factor mid arm system compliments of a great deal from marcus at rco

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have had both and the Bilsteins are a much smoother shock that are higher quality and increase ride comfort without any offroad sacrifice.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
I ran RC crap on my TJ. Bilstein is a top notch shock. The 2 aren't even on the same planet. The old 'you get what you pay for' rule is true in this case.

My last set of RC shocks lasted about a year on my TJ and then leaked and went soft. My JK's Fox high $ ones have lasted 2 + uears and wont give up for many more and are re-buildable. Bilstein are in the same class. Just my .02 worth:beer:

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
You can't beat the Bilsteins. Check out eShocks, $75 EA.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Marcus
going with bilstein

1 - 11 of 11 Posts