JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JKU 12 manual have been told a body lift for mine is an issue because the lift gets in the way of the gearshift. Is the extra inch worth the long term effect on the body? Is there any long term effect? Directions calls for a professional to do install any thoughts on that?

· Registered
602 Posts
I bought the RC 1.25" BL, but never installed it. The gear shift lever being interfered with IS a concern I have too. I believe RC has a linkage you can buy to fix that problem. Contact Rough Country.

As for professional installation, no. It is a DIY (and a few buddies) job. Get a couple of floor jacks, and some spare lumber to support the body. At 1.25" of lift, it should not create excess leverage on the bolts. Yes, a BL is the cheapest lift option. Best lift option? NO.

If I were you, I'd save up the $$ and do it right the first time with a budget boost (springs) or eventually (with enough $$) a full lift kit.

I did not install it because after putting on my RK 2.5", I have more than enough lift. BL's are usually found on older style Jeeps (TJ's, YJ's, CJ's), and are uncommon on JK's.

· Registered
322 Posts
What are your main intentions with your Jeep?

Mud? Then I can understand wanting your Jeep to be tall so you can stuff huge rediculously knobby drivetrain destroying rubber under it.

Trails/Rocks? Lower center of gravity does best. There are guys easily running 33s with no lift and next to no mods, 35's with cut fenders and wheel spacers. I even ran across a thread yesterday where a guy is running 37's with no lift.

Imo I think 2" is plenty, 2.5" is ideal and 3" is tops. All suspension, no body.

Function is always greater than form... Just my .02 :beer:

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

· Registered
461 Posts
No, you certainly do not need a professional install. Air tools will make it quicker/easier, but hand tools and a tall jack will get it done just fine.

I have an auto, so can't comment on the manual gear shift. But the RC kit comes with an adapter for it. And also brackets to raise the rear bumper. A little more searching should bring up some feedback on how well the shift adapter works?

As far as using a BL goes - I think it is personal preference. 1.25" isn't all that noticeable, unless you are actually looking for it. Not like the 3+ inch body lifts I used to see all the time on trucks. And if you want a bit more height and are worried about driveline angles (caster/pinion, losing the stock driveshafts, etc), an argument can be made for running a BL over going to taller coils or adding spacers. Just depends on your preference and needs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.