JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to ice my tundra and get an '07 jk unlimited.
I like this look:

What I'm clueless about is axles and gears. I'm going with 3" and 35"'s. Throughout my research I've found that the stock X comes with the D35/30, which most say are a ticking time bomb with 35's. I'm going be using this vehicle 80/20 daily driver/ play. Where will i roam? Ten miles to work and ten miles home. On the weekends I'll be on our farm here in North Alabama that consist of flats, woods and mountain. Also have hunting club in south TN with rolling hills and rocks. I might give the local rock course a shot with time, but as for now we're going slow and steady. That being said, most of my buddies say I could F**k up a steel ball. I don't want to put a planned $7000 into it and go out and break something realizing I should have skimped on the rhino lining and dvd's n headrest (for the kids) and put the money elsewhere. Also, I'll be pulling a boat/trailer December/Jan. So, can i get some feedback from you guys on what to do. More specifically:

How much am i looking at here $$$?
Would you go new or used? (axles are expensive)
wonder what i would give a a salvage yard for one?
are d60's overkill?
whats this about a ford 8.8 being stronger than a dana?
where would I find good literature on these topics?

Gearing:
Whats best for 35's
how much cheese $$$$?

Also,

Why?

Why must you regear for bigger tires and why is an axle susceptible to snapping/twisting?

any help will be much appreciated

yet another also,

just previewed post and pic is not showing. ????? (try and imagine a good looking jeep)

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Your are asking a lot of stuff here. First of all I'd take it slow and check out other peoples builds. Brands etc have to be your choice. Everyone will, when asked, just post rave reviews on what they have. That won't be too helpfull for you.

I'll address the axle question. You can run D30 / D35 axles on 35s just fine depending on how you use the rig. Are you gonna do much wheeling? If so how hard? The main reason axles bust is from too much gas. Wheels spin then onside grabs soem traction and it can bust. But a light right foot can do great with them. If you aren't gonna wheel hard right out of the box I'd take my time on this decision also.

C gussets and inner axle tubes will beef up that D30 pretty darn good.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
The X comes with D30 front and D44 rear. Many people on here are running those axles on DD JK's with 35's.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Oh yeah, welcome to JKO:beer:

·
Premium Member
4,937 Posts
The X comes with D30 front and D44 rear. Many people on here are running those axles on DD JK's with 35's.
This-only heard the 35 showed up on a select few 07 two doors.

Run the VIN to get an idea of what u got gear wise and use the search function as there is a wealth of info on here and every mistake u could make has already be taken care of already by someone else:D

Is this thing on?.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts