JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the Rockhard rear bumper & tire carrier for a few years now and it's on its 3rd JK, 2 of which were mine.

The first go 'round, my '09 Sahara, I had no problems with it and it functioned as I would expect.

As soon as I moved it to my current '14 JKUR I started having issues with it rattling while I was driving. It holds shut just fine, but bounces vertically and drives me flippin mad:pissed:... especially when the soft top is on or no top.

Easy fix. I thought I'd put some type of latch to hold the tire carrier to the bumper. With so many types of latches I wanted something that would be reliable over a long period of time and obviously it's on the outside of my vehicle so it has to be able to work in all kinds of weather as well. I also didn't want to drill a bunch of holes in the bumper getting to the final solution. So... I picked up a pair of used hood latches on ebay for around $15 with the hardware and used one for this project and saved one for a spare... who knows what i can use it for elsewhere.

It's one more step each time I open and close the tailgate, which is a royal pain in the ass, but it's certainly better than scrapping this bumper and spending another 1500 or so to *maybe* get rid of the rattle. :thefinger:



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. I'm sure that holds a *bit* firmer than the rubber latch. When mine breaks I'll go that route.
 

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
Joined
·
22,099 Posts
Nice. I'm sure that holds a *bit* firmer than the rubber latch. When mine breaks I'll go that route.
For your climate get the stainless steel one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
A little late, but I got rid of my rattle by modifying the striker to minimize the up and down travel. I also shimmed my rubber bumpers with fender washers to tighten things up.

I welded a washer to the striker to keep the swing arm from moving up and down.

The second picture is the finished project.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
 

Attachments

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
Joined
·
22,099 Posts
Thats another good idea. When I contacted rock hard about this issue when I 1st got the bumper they just told me that it wasn't adjusted correctly. Well it seems that alot of us can't figure out how to adjust the damm thing correctly by their instructions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
A quick follow up.

The mod appears to work very well. I let my wife do most of the driving this weekend and she came off several drop off very hard and still no rattles.

She likes the skinny pedal and brail method. People liked to watch her coming off the obstacles. The Jeep came of a drop hard enough to pop the soft top lose.
😄

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another nice mod/fix.

As a follow-up, the hood latch works to eliminate about 90% of the pre-mod rattle. So, all in all, good mod but when I get pissed @ the remaining 10% I'll go with a destaco.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top