JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 488 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the next stage of the jk is beginning. I'm taking my jeep to Rock Solid Fabs ( buddy owns it) to have a front ford hp d60 with rcvs, detroit, high steer knuckles, full hydro, and 4 link truss.

The rear will be a 14 bolt with disk brake conversion, detroit and 4 link truss pretty simple.

Then comes the 4 link going to be using Rough Stuff monster heim joints and DOM tubing

For suspension he is building custom mounts that will be tied into the cage and will be sporting some 14" travel ORI struts.

Last but not least a built 6.0 et 500hp with 4l80e transmission.

Here is what it looks like now

Here is the first pics of the build
14 bolt rear axle

rough stuff 3/8 welded diff cover and caliper mounts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I agree, this is gonna be something else.

Quick question, I thought I read somewhere that there was going to be a steering 14 bolt in the front too. Did that get changed?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys yeah plans. Changed when I found out it would be 6 grand in parts to build it. Out of my budget right now maybe if I start breaking parts but I doubt that.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Why you got to one up me? :beer: Ill don't think you will have a problem with the dana 60 with RCVs. Looking forward to the build process. What tires are you going with, and are you going to go double triangulated or single in the rear? I am guessing you will run full hydro since you are 4linking the front.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Subscribed.

I can't wait to see this beast finished and out on the trails. :beer:

AMP

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why you got to one up me? :beer: Ill don't think you will have a problem with the dana 60 with RCVs. Looking forward to the build process. What tires are you going with, and are you going to go double triangulated or single in the rear? I am guessing you will run full hydro since you are 4linking the front.
Probably just gonna do single I mean if you do it right its just as good. Should never have a problem with the rcvs all the top notch buggies run them here. I'm ordering the psc full hydro kit and going with some 43 sx stickies. Already racking up a parts list. I can't wait to hear the 6.0 bouncing off the rev limiter:devil:
Subscribed.

I can't wait to see this beast finished and out on the trails. :beer:

AMP
Me too my friend

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Probably just gonna do single I mean if you do it right its just as good. Should never have a problem with the rcvs all the top notch buggies run them here. I'm ordering the psc full hydro kit and going with some 43 sx stickies. Already racking up a parts list. I can't wait to hear the 6.0 bouncing off the rev limiter:devil:
You are correct about that, I was curious. Should have more than enough motor to pull them. Interested in seeing the rear setup.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Looks like a nice build. So are you going to be running two different bolt patterns between front and rear wheels? Thats one of the reasons I ended up staying w/ the sterling and the 8x6.5 all the way around. If you need any referencing for your front, hit up Joe Daro from absolute offroad. He has the same setup your shooting for up front, IE already running the HP60, RCVs, Full Hydro, ect. :beer:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yea, thats what I was wondering why you were going with 2 diffrent bolt patterns... But it looks like a sick set up. She'll climb anything once you are done haha. Bet the gas sucks in her... but screw it, it looks to good! Who cares?!?!

·
Registered
320 Posts
BLKRUBION40s: I seriously doubt he will be running balljoints. Keep in mind that most people who are building serious offroaders use Kingpins. I'm not bashing BJ's, but KP's are more widely seen out in the woods, and hold up better to serious abuse.

I know people often cite that Dynatrac/Currie/etc use BJ's, but they also use semi-float axles and those are definitely not as strong as a full float.

To be honest, until I got in to JK's I would never have even considered a ball joint axle as an axle swap option.

EDIT: To clarify, what I am saying is that not all HP60's are ball joint axles with metric bolt patterns. In fact, most do not have metric patterns. The assumption that he would have a bolt pattern issue should not be the first assumption, as he said he was building HP60 and he is building a strict wheeling rig; therefore the assumption I was trying to lead you toward was one that the axle is a Kingpin axle (probably out of a 78-79 F350). I meant nothing negative toward you; in fact I thought I was conversing with a peer. Obviously I was incorrect. I apologize if my choice of wording somehow distracted from my point. The only reason I brought up BJ/KP or SF/FF was because of things I have read in the past from others (not BLKRUBION40s, so that was not all for him); and they are paralleled arguments. Therefore, I made an analogy. The last sentence is simply the truth.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Chill everyone here's an update. I dropped the jk off today for work to begin, hoping to have it stripped down to the frame, gonna be putting a cammed out lq4 truck motor with the car 6.0 intake.

I plan on matching front and rear axles to 8 lugs

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
It was sometime around late98-99 Ford switched its BP to 8x170mm instead of the more common 8x6.5. Before that the axles would have been an 8x6.5

8x6.5 is 8x165.1mm
8x170 is 8x170mm

The 14B is going to be 8x6.5. :beer:

·
Registered
52 Posts
yes he is going to get a king pin hp 60 from an older ford oneton. so thats 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern, always has been and always will be(stock). if he was getting a newer one it would be a ball joint 60.

dont know why there was ever any confusion... but who gives a rats ass... :thefinger:

continue on!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes he is going to get a king pin hp 60 from an older ford oneton. so thats 8 on 6.5 bolt pattern, always has been and always will be(stock). if he was getting a newer one it would be a ball joint 60.

dont know why there was ever any confusion... but who gives a rats ass... :thefinger:

continue on!
Thanks for clearing that up for me dude.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Alright boys time to change the Tampons and get back to this unreal build!
That motor will get you wherever you want to go in this thing, and I may have missed it but what size tires are you going to be running. (I thought I saw the old ones for sale)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright boys time to change the Tampons and get back to this unreal build!
That motor will get you wherever you want to go in this thing, and I may have missed it but what size tires are you going to be running. (I thought I saw the old ones for sale)
AMEN:beer: I'm gonna be running a set of 43in sx stickies for the trail and some 40in tires for around town not sure what type yet. Tires are still for sale beadlocks are sold.

I've got a good motor and trans if anyone wants them give you a good deal! I'll have lots of pics this weekend as everything comes out. Almost got a supercharged 6.0 but just couldn't talk them down into my price range super pissed :pissed:

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
AMEN:beer: I'm gonna be running a set of 43in sx stickies for the trail and some 40in tires for around town not sure what type yet. Tires are still for sale beadlocks are sold.

I've got a good motor and trans if anyone wants them give you a good deal! I'll have lots of pics this weekend as everything comes out. Almost got a supercharged 6.0 but just couldn't talk them down into my price range super pissed :pissed:
"40's for around town" ............ :laughing2: That's just funny right there.

A supercharged 6.0 ........... Holy Hell! That would be crazy!! :beer:

Looking forward to seeing more progress pix.

AMP

·
Registered
320 Posts
I remember back when Cole Shirley had the orange YJ with a super charger in it; he hated it. I saw him flop that thing (hard) at Morris Mountain simply because the wheel speed was too hard to keep under control. So maybe it'll turn out to be a good thing that you didn't pick up the SC'd 6.0 lol ... Especially since you're gonna bounce it.

BTW, what's the cage plan?

1 - 20 of 488 Posts