JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone give me some personal reviews of any sliders you might have that you can actually use as a step? My wife is 5'2" and I don't want to go with a plastic step, I'd like to have rock slider that can be used as a step. The Jeep isn't lifted yet, but she's already having trouble crawling up in it without the steps. I got rid of my 2008 that had steps, and now am in a 2011 as of yesterday, and it doesn't have anything for steps. Thanks....

P.S. I did search, but couldn't really find anything real helpfull...

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
My Shrockworks sliders are awesome and double as a step really well. Made in the USA, and I didn't even have to wait for them...they shipped right out.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Could someone give me some personal reviews of any sliders you might have that you can actually use as a step? My wife is 5'2" and I don't want to go with a plastic step, I'd like to have rock slider that can be used as a step. The Jeep isn't lifted yet, but she's already having trouble crawling up in it without the steps. I got rid of my 2008 that had steps, and now am in a 2011 as of yesterday, and it doesn't have anything for steps. Thanks....

JK 2-Dr Brawler Rockers™
Retail: $759.00

Installed picture:

·
Registered
203 Posts

MBRP. Steps come off with 4 bolts when it's time for aggressive wheeling. Takes about 10 minutes. My wife is 5'0". Makes a big difference for her. I also carry customers and they have no issues getting in and out, front or back.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies so far guys. It looks like some nice options out there.

MBRP. Steps come off with 4 bolts when it's time for aggressive wheeling. Takes about 10 minutes. My wife is 5'0". Makes a big difference for her. I also carry customers and they have no issues getting in and out, front or back.
Can you show me some more pics of these on yours? More from the side and maybe a close up? Thanks, That's kinda what I'm looking for, I think. LOL

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
i really didn't care for the look of body armor rock rails. but they costed me 100 dollars and i had to get something on their for protection and for the passengers.

it works really well for off roading and i use it as my step to get in and out every day. very stout and sturdy for off road useage. took me an hour to put on both sides. super cheap and super strong. very impressed without a doubt.

i came down on this boulder and watched my rock rail barely nudge

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sliders to me are important for protection as well as as step. When I was shopping I looked at the MBRP, but ended up going with PSC Brawler Rockers after all the research. Not as convenient as a step, but better protection. With a little grip tape is a great step.

They are tougher than they look in pictures

Here it is after I cut down a tire

Can't do that on most sliders

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i really didn't care for the look of body armor rock rails. but they costed me 100 dollars and i had to get something on their for protection and for the passengers.

it works really well for off roading and i use it as my step to get in and out every day. very stout and sturdy for off road useage. took me an hour to put on both sides. super cheap and super strong. very impressed without a doubt.
I really like those. I am going to look into those also.

Boris, thanks for the pics, I just don't think I want ones that bolt to the body. I'm looking more for ones that are frame mounted. But keep the pics coming, I like to see what everyone has.

Thanks...

·
JKO Dickhead
3,522 Posts
Got the smittybilt rails....liked how they looked, hugged the body and mounted to the frame..

easy nstall, only two mounting points....my wife and son will stick there foot in between the rails as a step....although you dont get much depth to get your toe in and fell like you may slip...

recently dropped the entire weight of the jeep on one of these.... left a minor dent in the rail... but the rails shifted up about and inch and left a nice dent in my rocker panel....and then went right back to its original position...

some people argue that they didnt work because of the body damage.... for the price i am super happy how they held up and i would have crushed my rocker and cab without them...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I really like those. I am going to look into those also.

Boris, thanks for the pics, I just don't think I want ones that bolt to the body. I'm looking more for ones that are frame mounted. But keep the pics coming, I like to see what everyone has.

Thanks...
The Brawlers do not just bolt to the body. They have two parts - rocker armor that bolts to the body, and a second piece that connects to frame, and then ties into the rocker armor. This is how PSC overcomes the fact that the body is curved but the frame is straight.

Thye look pretty massive in the box, but not on the jeep. They cover and protect the area between the frame and the rocker for the length of the body. They have gussets of 3/16" steel every 6" the entire length.

You can see on the left the mounting point where they attach to the body mounts. The brawlers have an 1"-1.5" more clearence than frame mounted sliders, and tube sliders can have their mounting bars catch on rock and mess with your line, where these are flat and slide. I think boatside rockers have a lot of advantages, whether PSC or Fab Fours or others. I don't think any other design will provide better protection.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Another vote for Poison Spyder.
Also get the velcro pull up strap handle. Work upper body strength. :D
My niece's works with a woman who is 5'2" and drives a lifted full size truck on 40's. No step. She grabs the arm rest and seat edge and just pulls herself up like a gymnast. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Got the smittybilt rails....liked how they looked, hugged the body and mounted to the frame..

easy nstall, only two mounting points....my wife and son will stick there foot in between the rails as a step....although you dont get much depth to get your toe in and fell like you may slip...

recently dropped the entire weight of the jeep on one of these.... left a minor dent in the rail... but the rails shifted up about and inch and left a nice dent in my rocker panel....and then went right back to its original position...

some people argue that they didnt work because of the body damage.... for the price i am super happy how they held up and i would have crushed my rocker and cab without them...
This is the second person I have heard of in less than 1 month that has body damage due to Smittybilts. IMHO - "Run! Forest Run!" Rails should be strong enough to take the hit. Two mounting points does not give the enough support for a 4 door.

I have LoD Rails and I love them. My wife likes the step feature too.

Another thing to consider before you make your purchase is how they mount. Weld on, bolt on, Nutserts..... as well as how many supports they mount with.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is the second person I have heard of in less than 1 month that has body damage due to Smittybilts. IMHO - "Run! Forest Run!" Rails should be strong enough to take the hit. Two mounting points does not give the enough support for a 4 door.

I have LoD Rails and I love them. My wife likes the step feature too.

Another thing to consider before you make your purchase is how they mount. Weld on, bolt on, Nutserts..... as well as how many supports they mount with.
I agree. There are a number of sliders that you can drop the entire weight of the jeep and come away without any damage to the body. Go with one of them.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
4'10 and 1/2"

I'm using Body Armor 4x4 sliders. I added a anti skid strip to the top and Oh-Shit Handles to the roll bar. She has no problem getting it at 4'10.5". This picture is before I added the anti skid strip. But it gives a good view of the rock slider.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts