JKOwners Forum banner

weld on rock rails or bolt on

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, Im im building a set of rock rails because the price for them is to high for me when I know I have the tools and abulity to build them myself. So here it is

I have always welded all my rock rails onto the rigs I have owned and several more I have modified for others. But just about every aftermarket rail you can buy for a jeep is bolted on. Is there a reason for this? I was going to weld the set Im building on in 4 different locations. But I want to know what you think and how you did it and why.

Weld on?
or bolt on?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I voted bolt to the frame. My Shrockworks bolt to the frame and they have taken some gnarly shots. I like being able to remove easily if need be as well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I voted bolt to the frame. My Shrockworks bolt to the frame and they have taken some gnarly shots. I like being able to remove easily if need be as well.
How are they bolted to the frame? did you have to drill holes? and how many places are they mounted? I have not seen any

I live in northern Idaho so not many people have jk jeeps that are modified. everyone has full sized or diesels hopped up for the mountains. Not many narrow trails just mostly logging roads to play on

·
RIP Brad
3,760 Posts
Your last option is invalid..... if you go that route, you will buy a new tub.

I feel bolt on is due to new owners being scared to cut, weld, whatever to their high dollar vehicle.... understandable, but if you are building a trail rig, I don't feel bolt on is optimal.

Many have damaged their tubs due to body mounted sliders.... if you think you will do more than show off at the mall..... go frame mounted.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
abendx speaks the truth. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
976 Posts
If you were trying to decide on what ones to purchase, then I would say that it just depends on the type of wheel'in that you plan to do and the money you want to spend. But since you are building them yourself, then I will vote for frame mount. Maybe bolt them on to start, and then weld them after you have a chance to get out there and test them. No offence, but if your design sucks and you need to make changes, it's easier to unbolt instead of cutting welds.

I am using the ACE rock slides that bolt on to the body mounts under my Rubi rails at this time. It's not that I am scared to cut or weld on my high dollar rig. It's just that for the level of wheel'in that I get to do, they meet my needs at a price I could handle.

·
Registered
415 Posts
If I get a good welder here shortly I'll be making mine look like the EVO's and mounting like ACE's (body bolts). I'm thinking about putting on a couple brackets to bolt to the frame as well... Slight bolt-on overkill but, I'd rather the frame bolts/mounts take the blunt of the impact...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Don't you want the frame and body to be isolated from each other?

What's the advantage to mounting the sliders to the body?
I agree that the body and frame should be separate in-order to allow body roll etc... But, with the slider mounts attached to the bottom side of the body mount brackets it shouldn't interfere with body roll etc.

I don't really see no specific advantage of mounting the sliders to the body... I think if anything, it'll create more problems later.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
I suppose they may not be as strong as frame mount (bolt or weld), but I LOVE my PSC Rocker Knockers.. They mount to the body, but use 14 bolts. I've had half of my Jeep supported by one of them a few times and they've done fine for me.. Probably not the best choice for extreme rock crawling, though..

Here's some before and after pics.. (before and after the Rubicon Trail)..

After the Rubicon:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.