JKOwners Forum banner

Rock Rail

8K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  evil_trolloc 
#1 ·
I have been looking at rock rails and I still can not decide on which ones provide the best protection.
Body mounted are up and out of the way.
Frame mounted look stronger but hang down lower.
I am in california near the Rubicon Trail that I have run with my M38A1 no rock rails.
There will be rocks in the JKs Future.

#19 ·
Body mounted all the way..........
Definitely body mounted. I have River Raiders and love them. They are up out of the way and they are alot stronger then you think. I also reccommend getting a set that sticks out away from the body or has a tube, ours saved the doors from eating a few trees. The only thing that sucks is having to drill into the body, but it gets easier after the first few holes.
Love these mopar enhance rails...Body mounted as well,direct bolt on with no drilling or cutting..Easy install and the fit/quality is great....

#4 ·
Definitely body mounted. I have River Raiders and love them. They are up out of the way and they are alot stronger then you think. I also reccommend getting a set that sticks out away from the body or has a tube, ours saved the doors from eating a few trees. The only thing that sucks is having to drill into the body, but it gets easier after the first few holes.

#5 ·
There re a lot of options out there. On my JK, I only have expierence with Poly Performance Rockers. I have beat the heck out of these and they are solid. They do not have the "bar" that sticks out, so they are really high clearence. However, the design of them does allow me to hit rocks or trees and use them to turn a bit. I smack these really hard over ad over again on three runs over the Rubicon and other trails this summer and the took the beting. No matter how hard I hit, the only thing that happend was a scrath on them, no other damage. I am sure you will hav a lot to choose from and there are good ones out there. I have learned (after four Jeeps) you definately get what you pay for. Again, I have said it before, the customer Service at Poly is great. good luck.

#6 ·
There re a lot of options out there. On my JK, I only have expierence with Poly Performance Rockers. I have beat the heck out of these and they are solid.
X2 The Poly Performance high clearance rocker protection are well designed and thought out and are very effective. I rarely hit mine as they are so well clearanced, but they will take a good beating if needed.

In a similar vain, but with more of a step are the RockHard4x4 ones, which I also like.

I've seen a few sets of the Shrockworks ones on the trail too and they are my favorite design of the tube type.

As already mentioned, the stock Rubi sliders are pretty stout and will take a good amount of abuse.

#7 ·
I fabbed up a set of Shrockworks frame mount clones and have had no problems. I'm not real big on body mounted protection, I figure eventually it will hurt the body or start cracking the tub, as the body is not designed to take that level of abuse, protection or not.

That being said, looks like everyone but me (so far) is running body mounted skids and has had good luck. I don't have experience with them, so I just have an uneducated opinion. Oh, and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

#8 ·
I e-mailed Shrockworks and they told me that their rock rails would not work
with the Rubicon Express long arm lift that I plan on installing. I did like the
looks of their product.
Is anyone running the Rubicon long arm on their 2 door Rubicon.
I will look into the Poly Performance.
Thanks for the information I dont want to buy something now then find out it wont work with the Rubicon Express lift.

#9 ·
I think it's cool that you have an old military willys. That thing probably fit between the rocks at the Rubicon. No such luck with a JK. Everyone seems to be happy with their choice of rock sliders. I have a set of Warn sliders and I'm happy with them. They've saved me a number of times. I also have an RE longarm kit. I'm happy with it as well but FWIW I would seriously look at what PolyPerformance has to offer. I didn't know about Poly at the time I had my lift done. I really like there rocker guards with the boatsiders. It protects the body mounts as well. I don't think these rockers will work with the RE longarm because the rear control arm mounts bolt to the outside of the frame rail. Check out this link. You'll see what I'm talking about. JMHO

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31370#post31370

By the way, I'm not far from you. If you ever want to run a trail and need a partner, I'd be happy to go with you. Sure be nice to run with another JK. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

#10 ·
Ive got the RE long arm 4 1/2" kit on a 2 dr Rubicon, but I'm using the stock OEM rails. They are stout but I hate that you cant getem closer to the trees and rocks without having to worry about subsequent damage, as they are so close to the body...unlike the Poly Performance sliders. If PIG says that the Poly Perf would work w/ the RE lift, I would get those.

#14 ·
Take a look at the Treks boat sliders. I believe they are high clearance and frame mounted - maybe the best of both worlds. Not sure if they work with the long arm kit though. I have the Shrockworks sliders and they are very strong and can be used as a step, but they have some gaps in between the supports that you could get hung up on.

#15 ·
I just took a look at those Treks sliders. Man, they are nice. They cover up everything underneath. I like the fact that they are shipped bare too so I can paint them. Powdercoated stuff never seems to hold up on the northern east coast. It would be nice to have something I can spraybomb and then just touch up whenever it needs it.

#16 ·
#20 ·
2x on the river raiders i love them and kenny is really cool and straight up with you if anything is wrong with his product

#22 ·
I would avoid the Body Armor rock rails. They changed their design from frame mount to body mount and the first rock that I hit on the Rubicon trail all of the 3 lower body mounting bolts tore free. I am returning them, 4 wheel parts has been a great help.

When I called body armor their comment was that they over designed their product so that the product is not damaged but it's o.k. for the product to damage the part of your vehicle it supposed to protect.

:pissed:

#26 ·
I juts posted this in another thread.. but this is my home made ones.. I didn't lose any clearance from keeping the stock rails on there and they look good hiding the seem..

1.5" square tube, 1/4" wall.. the "pads" for the frame are 5x3 angle iron, 1/4" wall

There pretty solid, herculined the "stepping" part of it, painted the rest black.. there are gussets underneath where the 3 posts come off the pads, no pics of the underneath mount yet, sorry..

I can get a fwe more pics, from a direct side view to see clearance/height/how close to the body they are
and from underneath to show there mounting.. but I'll wait untill someone actually wants to see them befor taking the time to snap/post the pics.. just let me know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.