JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how do you decide. Making some phone calls to get a Black Friday deal tomorrow on the Rock Krawler 3.5 X-factor or the Metal Cloak 3.5 GameChanger ARB/OME.

Ive read alot on the suspensions and just exhausted to keep trying to figure it out. My Jeep is a daily drive and 35x12.50.15r. These are not cheap kits, at least money wise and would like to get the best bang for the buck.

How would you guys decide on one or the other.

* I would continue to research but like I said tomorrow is Black Friday and Id like to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Metal cloak

I currently have the rock Krawler 3.5 X factor...if I had to do it all over I would go with metal cloak. The X factor pushes your rear axle back an inch, keeping the proper pinion angel causes interference between the passenger side bump stop and the track bar bracket. I have personally noticed this issue on one other JKU.

I had to cut an inch off the rear control arms to make everything fit properly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I currently have the rock Krawler 3.5 X factor...if I had to do it all over I would go with metal cloak. The X factor pushes your rear axle back an inch, keeping the proper pinion angel causes interference between the passenger side bump stop and the track bar bracket. I have personally noticed this issue on one other JKU.

Adam, this is the first I've heard about that issue, can you post some pics? I am pretty much set on the X factor 2.5 myself.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
This is a common problem that the fanbois never seem to mention when they tell you how good thier lift is. I have seen it on several JK's. Relocating the frame track bar bracket back 1.5" would be recommended. I would also recommend cutting the coil perches off the top of the axle and rotating them bact to the top of the axle and reweld them to minimize the coil bowing that is also typical with the Rock Krawler kit. They will try to sell you wedges but this is a pretty simple thing to do if you have access to a welder.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts

I had this issue as well the bolt from the trackbar hit the bump stop pad. I trimmed the bolt and shortened the upper arms as well.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Yea RK Does push back the axle quite a bit. Some 2 door guys have issues and end up turning the lowers all the way in.

I've been saving my penny's for arms. Often not mentioned .. RK will custom make any arm length for you.
I have a 2 door and would have the arms +/- about 3/4 ( or 1" max on length over stock) not sure on the amount of adjustment on RK arms.

Both company's get good reviews. I think you'll be happy with RK Or MC, pick your poison :D

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
It doesn't matter two door or 4 door when you push the axle back an inch and raise the suspension by 3.5" you really need to address the track bar brackets and the mounts on the axle as they become misaligned pretty bad.
Unfortianally these things are not solved by the use of bolt on components for the mechanically challenged.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Don't know why you want to got with 3.5" lift with 35" tires for a daily driver. 2.5" inch left is plenty for that size tire and will keep your COG low for better handling.

As for the interference issue, RK has offset bump stop pads that solve this issue. I have an RK long arm which caused the same issue and fixed it with the offset pads.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Our Pro Series Krawler Joint durability has been proven to be very awesome and we will not have you taking apart your joints every year to service them which means you have to take apart your vehicle. The housings come with a lifetime warranty as well.

The X Factor Kits as mentioned before are designed for JK's running flat fenders as all flat fenders that are available place the center of the wheel well arch approximately 1" further back so if you use conventional components the entire axle looks off and not centered!...

If you plan on running OEM fenders, we would recommend running one of our lesser systems or speaking to a dealer or wholesaler or us directly if you want a full 8 arm replacement, but want to run OEM fenders as we can accommodate for that situation. The percentage of people building JK's and running flat fenders is extremely high, we support the low cog mentality and the use of Flat Fenders, hence the existence of this system.

As far as coil bowing is concerned, we are one of the few companies that tries to address it in the systems. Most leave it out. When you lift any vehicle, you will have to rotate the rear pinion in order to get proper driveline angles. This rotates the bottom spring pad mount causing the top and bottom spring pads to be out of parallel which will cause spring bow. We supply a 10 degree correction wedge to try to address it for the masses. There are other solutions out there as dirt man has indicated and each person might have his or her own preferred method.

If the proper bump stops are used (like our offset fabbed units), and the track bar hardware is mounted in there front to back as stated in the instructions, contact will never occur and our rear track bars are designed to take the simple 1" offset which is less than 3 degrees on a bushing (1/40) with no problem. When people try to use our x factor arm package and do not consider all the variables as we have, of course there can be issues, but all of which are easily rectified.

Our Triple Rate Coils are well dialed in and not over stressed so they are very resistant to fade over time...

The control arms in our systems are made from solid alloy steel and guaranteed for life. What are they being compared against?

No matter what you choose, good luck with your build. Choose the product that is best for you and your build.

RK

·
Registered
4,734 Posts

Adam

Is this with our bump stops or others? We are pretty confident that is very easily resolved and we have the proper provisions for it...

We find the biggest issue is the combination of components people use with our products... We are always here to help and our phones are on everyday so there is no reason to guess.. We have some of the best techs in the industry. We build all kinds of stuff here from mild Jeeps, to off-road race vehicles. We have seen it all...

RK

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
This is a common problem that the fanbois never seem to mention when they tell you how good thier lift is. I have seen it on several JK's. Relocating the frame track bar bracket back 1.5" would be recommended. I would also recommend cutting the coil perches off the top of the axle and rotating them bact to the top of the axle and reweld them to minimize the coil bowing that is also typical with the Rock Krawler kit. They will try to sell you wedges but this is a pretty simple thing to do if you have access to a welder.
For the not so faint of heart, we do offer weld on spring pads and a weld on rear frame side track bar bracket... We have to use the weld on spring pads for the 1.5" X Factor Systems as the springs are not long enough to perform a correction with just spring wedges.

Again, our rear track bars are designed to be able to take a 1" offset as 1" offset over the length of a 40" track bar is not a great angle. As the suspension cycles on a mid arm system, the axle moves forward and aft way more than 1", so if a track bar cannot take that, it is in trouble anyway.

RK

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
I saw the weld on pads and was wondering why they were only included with the 1.5 kits. Good to know.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
We try to do things that are as customer friendly as possible, but sometimes there is no getting around what is required by the basics of geometry... That is one of those times...

RK

·
Registered
101 Posts
As a dealer I have had guys come in that bought their system at another shop and have seen the bump stop problem. If you use the offset bump stops from RK with the kit you will not have any problem. Our shop rig has the 3.5" Long arm system and we have not had any issues. You won't find a better ride on road and the quality of parts and service is top notch.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Adam

Is this with our bump stops or others? We are pretty confident that is very easily resolved and we have the proper provisions for it...

We find the biggest issue is the combination of components people use with our products... We are always here to help and our phones are on everyday so there is no reason to guess.. We have some of the best techs in the industry. We build all kinds of stuff here from mild Jeeps, to off-road race vehicles. We have seen it all...

RK

This is with your angled bump stops, as well as turning the upper track bar bracket bolt around. cutting an inch off the control arms was my ABSOLUTE last idea to correct this. It felt really defeating and a waste of money in doing so, however I had been in contact with 2 individuals at your company. No real solution was given and I seemed to get the run around. I'm not bashing the company...I believe it may have been around the time frame of EJS this year that this was going on. When I return home tomorrow I can post a few images. I'm sure I still have the email traffic to the rock Krawler tech email as we'll.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
This is with your angled bump stops, as well as turning the upper track bar bracket bolt around. cutting an inch off the control arms was my ABSOLUTE last idea to correct this. It felt really defeating and a waste of money in doing so, however I had been in contact with 2 individuals at your company. No real solution was given and I seemed to get the run around. I'm not bashing the company...I believe it may have been around the time frame of EJS this year that this was going on. When I return home tomorrow I can post a few images. I'm sure I still have the email traffic to the rock Krawler tech email as we'll.

Curious, what your pinion angle was in relation to the driveshaft ?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't remember for certain...I believe it was down 3* from the drive shaft. I spent the better part of a week adjusting the pinion angle, driving, removing springs and lifting the suspension to check for contact between the Rock Krawler angled bump stop and the upper track bar bolt.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts