JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after owning the JK for a year, I finally started installing a lift. I bought a Rock Krawler 5.5” lift, JE Reel front and rear driveshafts and Procomp 37” Extreme Mudders on 17” steel rims. I had to wait a few weeks after it all came in to get some help, but It is now on.
I quickly found that not all lifts go smoothly. I had help from Jay(Boing) and we started on the front. We got the Panhard with the usual difficulties. While working outside, Jason pulled up in a wickedly built Scrambler. He offered the use of his shop and tools which came in handy for getting one particular nut off. Next we were going to install the front driveshaft, but we ran into an issue concerning the pinion in the diff. Did it have a crush sleeve or solid one? So we stopped for the night to do some research. That same research was inconclusive.
We were going to start on the rear and made a discovery about the drive shafts. Not all of the parts were there and the rear shaft sent was for a 2 door JK not a 4 door. So there I am with my front way up and the back at normal levels.

I took the rear driveshaft back to the folks that ordered it for me. They sent it back and I had to wait a few days for a new one. Again I had to wait a few days to get some time for the install. Finally the day came and I went all the way to Castle Rock at Jay’s.

Here we ran into a lug lock that broke so we took the Jeep and parts to a friends in Falcon, hey Wayne! Again the right tool came in a worked great.
So with the rear wheels off we got to work. We made short order of replacing the control arms and brake lines.

Jay welded a new bracket and after all was tightened down we bled the brakes.

We threw on the old tires and took it into the shop.

Something wasn’t right :shrug: the Jeep was jerking around when it was rolling.

We set off to go ahead and install the new driveshafts and got as far as installing the new yoke on the rear diff. When I tried to mate the driveshaft to the yoke we found a new problem. The Yoke was for a 1310 while the driveshaft was set for a 1350, it was just too big for the yoke. Not wanting to mess with the crush sleeve of the pinion too much we left it as is and just use the factory front drive shaft until I could get a new yoke. While we were working on the driveshaft, we found that the rear wheels were compressing against the new upper control arms. This is why the manufacturer stated that the wheels had to have a 4.5” back spacing.
And here was the problem. The new wheels were all the way back in Castle Rock, some 50+ miles away. So with the daylight fading away, off we went in Wayne’s truck to retrieve the new wheels. Some 1 ½ to 2 hours later we got back and threw on the new wheels, yeah! We got them on and boy does she look nice!
We still have a few other issues to address such as the ABS cables have to be rerouted and I still have an evap box relocation kit to install. I am also going to be replacing the gears of the diffs to 5.13’s. Again this may take awhile, seems they are a little hard to get hold of.
So, thanks to Jay, Jason and Wayne, :hail: I learned a heck of a lot and now have one great looking JK! Here it is...

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Your Jeep is looking nice!

Does Warn offer a hoop option or did you just weld one on? Either way it looks good!

I can't wait to hit the trails, let me know if you are looking for a trail partner sometime! :beer:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
What a difference. Looks great! I'm guessing you'll soon be searching for a new rear bumper/tire carrier now, huh?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Warn bumper I got second hand last year and it came with it. The box was labled Warn so I assume it is an option for that bumper. It also had some spacers in case I did not have the winch plate. As it is, I am either gonna have to trim the ends and make it a stubby or get a new one. The tires are going to get bound if I stuff them. If it's not one thing it is another
A rear bumper would be nice, but is a little low on the list. Next will be gears (5.13) and installing the tube fenders that should be here in a couple of weeks. After that I am looking into some side armor and sliders. Little by little. I may get side tracked with replacing the axles all together for some 60's, depends on how well these hold out. I am hearing some disturbing news that the knuckles may not be strong enough for the 37's. Oh Well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts