JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, here's me showing my n00bness, but... What's the difference between a Crawler and a Bouncer? I'm talking about buggies, here, BTW... Only thing I can really tell is the crawlers tend to, well, crawl slowly over shit, where the bouncers tend to just kinda hit it WFO with little to no regard for driver or machine.

I guess I'm asking if there is a technical/mechanical build difference in the two types of buggies, or are these mainly different driving approaches/styles?

-M

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Yes it has to do with what the driver considers being fun. (breaking shit everytime, holding everyone up, waiting for others to fix his rig with their spare parts) and money. Can you afford to break....and some are in competition.

Im a crawler. You will never see me over, maybe, half throttle on a trail.

Sent via paper airplane

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I was thinking, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't totally off in left field. Thanks for the input, guys.

And Goody, I'm with you. The whole, "I'm gonna fuck my shit up," thing just isn't for me. I don't care if I have to drive it home or it gets polished by 12 Victoria's Secret models before it's loaded into the trailer - If I don't have to break it trying, why the HELL should I?!?

-M

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I'm a crawler right up until it stops crawlin, then I will back the fuck up and send all 90 hp straight to the tires. If it breaks, so be it. I carry my own spare parts and tools though.:thefinger: Sometimes you just gotta say "fuck it"

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Been around to many bouncers in my life. I am definitely not one of them. Plenty of good trips ruined because of a jackoff with an uncontrollable right foot.

My once in a life time trip to the fingers on the north east side of Iceland was cut short. We spent 2 days waiting for a guy to drop an axle at our location (Air drop).

I understand why people like it, I am a Formula Off-road fan, and love to watch the KOH style races.

I may take longer to make it up some of the trails those type of people love to beat their chest about, but I will still do them and with a lot less carnage.

Anyone can buy a rig to play "pedal smash and pray" impress me by doing it with less.

Sent from my little magic box.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I am a crawler also but sometimes you do need to bump an obstacle to get over.
That is not wide open throttle for me however. I don't have a trailer so I have to fix it to get it home. I like to play though! Pic your lines and you can run with some big dogs. You will learn what is really too much and then get out and watch.

I followed this guy all day...till the end of the day when he decided he needed something he couldn't do.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Where I live you can try all the crawling you want to, and it has nothing to do with hold my beer and watch this, but you need wheel spin if you are going to make it anywhere. Ill crawl if I can, but give throttle if I have to.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Where I live you can try all the crawling you want to, and it has nothing to do with hold my beer and watch this, but you need wheel spin if you are going to make it anywhere. Ill crawl if I can, but give throttle if I have to.
Mud is a whole different animal, an big Miss has enough for everyone. ;-)

Spin is king, but you can get away with 44's on a 44 too.

Sent from my little magic box.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Most rock bouncing is on vertical rock climbs that you cannot crawl up. The only way is to hammer down until you get up it. Watch tim Cameron, the tanners, etc and you'll see what I mean. I'm sorry but you could not follow that rockwelled buggy on a route that's actually difficult and requires something like that. If I was rich I'd build a rock rod but unfortunately I'm poor and so rock crawling is the name of the game for me.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
I'll do a 'little bump' to get up a ledge. But its rare for me to white smoke the tires on rock. Light on the gas is the key to not thrashing things.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
At my local rock park it's almost impossible to go fast. So many damn trees, you'll crash before you hit 3500rpm. I've replaced every light on my rig for that very reason- hitting trees.

It's like sex. Bouncers are teenagers on prom night that get off before their girl's bra is undone, and crawlers have tantric orgasms that last longer than the Clinton Administration.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.