JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I’m sure I will get a bunch of bullshit responses. First off, I don’t give a fuck. If that’s what you give me, well then :thefinger:. For the misses and I vacation, she has given the nod for a 2 door top off road trip. Sorry boy, not the type of “top off” you are thinking of, for you at least. This will be a pack the cooler, a suitcase for the few change of clothes, stop and explore OR chill the fuck out.

We will be starting from northeast Texas in late spring or early summer. Think of heading north first and then I don’t know. That’s where you boys come in. Need some suggestions.

This would be a week off work, 5 days PTO, for a total of 9 days. 3 to 400 hundred miles a day. Get back before an oil change in this shitty 3.8 leaking exhaust gases from the shitty OEM exhaust manifold.

I’m thinking this would be one last hurrah in the Jeep. June will mark 9 years of the 2-door JK sport. Three kiddos home from the hospital, two conceived in it, one first anniversary in it (because we already had our first) and too many other memories to let it go lightly.

Give me your best shot. I’ve seen Enough Kowboy post to envoy Wyoming. I don’t know about Idaho. Colorado high pass. Dakota’s maybe worth it too. PNW seems like fun, even though I don’t agree with their politics. I’d even be up for getting into Canada a bit. Basically I’d like to create a road map and here we go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I can make a few recommendations in Montana if you decide to get that far... Morrison Jeep trail in Northern Wyoming.... Iron Mountain, Benbo... Hellroaring Plateau...

There's even some decent pavement to be found, heading into Yellowstone from Red Lodge, Montana on the Beartooth Pass is a must do if you're in the area. If you, or your Jeep are topless, you might want to pack a coat, as it sometimes gets pretty cold at those elevations.

Good luck with your trip.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
We will be starting from northeast Texas in late spring or early summer.
Too early in the year to consider high country. Colorado passes are more of an August thang to wait for the snow to melt.

Early summer's already hot in your part of the world … but not up north. Topless is cool … and most likely down-right cold. Springtime can be very unpredictable weather-wise.

·
Super Moderator
6,233 Posts

no goofy answers here, just envy!
I would head to the Sierra Nevada's to see the bristlecone groves* ( weather permitting) & then head-down toward Death Valley to make my way back home.

Are the mani's cracked, I guess?

have fun ,dude.

(* near top of my personal bucket list for decades)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You all are making me rethink the top off aspect. Yeah, down here in Texas its boarding 90’s during the day. Hard to rethink other places and then the altitude as well. I think Sulphur Springs is 550’ above sea level. Top on would certainly make for a less beat up with all the wind.

Could already do top off and head more south, Big Bend or gulf shore and seafood. I’d rather go north though. Thank you the ideas so far. Keep them coming too.

As for the Jeep, yeah definitely starting to hear the pfft-pfft of an exhaust leak. I’ve been very wishy washy on keeping the JK or going to a JLU. The JK is starting to show her age. Steering needs to be reworked, shocks replaced, exhaust manifolds.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Badlands National Park is kinda cool. Some unique terrain there that was fun to see when I drove through years ago.

Depending on exactly which direction you go, the Sierra Nevada range is a good suggestion. The Sequoia National Forest is worth a look if you end up that way.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
If you hit southern Arizona on your way back through you got a place to stay for the night.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts