JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RK rear track bar is hitting my passenger side coil spring. Only happens when there's passengers in my back seat and I go over good size bumps but it makes quite a bang! (at first I thought the Jeep was just bottoming out hard but, I see wear on the track bar and the coil) Anybody else had this problem? What's the fix?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had this problem similarly with my teraflex lift. you could see the paint rubbing off where it hits on mine. It was annoying for sure but wasn't hurting anything. only fix would've been a new track bar for mine or a custom one so I left it alone till now, sold the kit and doing custom suspension. if it is indeed the problme you describe you should be able to see the paint rubbing off where its hitting

jK Neal

·
Registered
458 Posts
do you have a RK lift? if so maybe the coil spring corection wedge is off. My TB bolt also were hitting my bumpstop extension, untill I tweeked it a bit. Also, which way is the bolt facing? if the excess thread & nut are toward the front of the rig, you may just need to switch the bolt around (had to do that too).

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
If you have an adjustable track bar, you can try to rotate it back away from the spring a little.
Otherwise, you can double-shear the factory frame bracket to give you more clearance and better angles, like this...
You can see where this one used to rub pretty bad...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Mine just did this on my 3.5 RK Lift turns out the spring had unseated and shifted abit popped it back in place literally 1/2 a inch and its fixed. Hope thats what it is cause it was a easy fix.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Easiest fix is some degree wedges for the rear springs, available from RK and Poly. They correct the seating so the spring won't bow backwards. Best fix is to cut the rear spring seats off and weld on new ones in the correct plane. However, I've run RK wedges for three years now and they've been a 100% fix for this issue.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Did you have to do any adjustments on the axle end when you move the track bar back on the frame like that? Or is the stock location ok?
Stock location at the axle works fine.

The wedges work too. But my theory is that if you move the axle back (RK), then the brackets should be adjusted/moved accordingly to keep things lined up.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the responses y'all!!!

I've got the wedges, and at a cursory glance, they look right (biggest end is at the back). The track bar is rubbing the spring, I can see where the paint is coming off, and where a slight concavity is forming on the trackbar (thank God it's solid!). I will look under there better and make sure the wedge is aligned.

Co4LO, thanks for the bracket pic, I believe I may end up doing the same!

:beer:

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you have our rear coils or just the rear track bar? How is your pinion angle?

RK
Haven't checked the pinion angle, didn't even think of it to be honest but, now that you mention it, seems like a great quick way to see if the axle is positioned right rotation wise! I'll have to find somebody with a magnetic angle finder. No vibes from the driveshaft though, if that's any indication at all. All my suspension parts are from y'all (other than my shocks). I have your 3.5" X factor mid arm. Come to think of it, I need to call y'all and order a couple parts, thanks for posting up!

:beer:

·
Registered
77 Posts
The rear trackbar bracket on my 2012 JK hits the bumpstop if the uptravel is more than 2.5". I removed the 2" aluminum block bumpstops for now until RK can get their new bumpstops made. I have the bolt that holds the trackbar in the bracket facing the rear of the Jeep for better clearance, but it is the bracket, not the bolt that hits. Even without the bumpstop, the bracket hits before the shock bottoms out. My mechanic says it is because the axle was moved back an inch.

I like the axle moved back for larger tires, so I'm looking for a solution for the trackbar bracket and/or bumpstops. I don't want shorter control arms that put the axle back in the stock location. Hopefully RK's redesigned bumpstops will fix this.

My springs clear the trackbar bracket. I'm using RK's coil correction degree wedges.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
After my lift my rear track bar was hitting the spring - the spring broke where it ate into the powder coating.

The wedge mentioned above fixed the problem - until I got a new rear drive shaft - the pinion adjustment caused the rubbing again.

I finally repositioned the spring perch -problem solved - and the springs are now perfectly straight!

Straight springs means a better ride!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After my lift my rear track bar was hitting the spring - the spring broke where it ate into the powder coating.

The wedge mentioned above fixed the problem - until I got a new rear drive shaft - the pinion adjustment caused the rubbing again.

I finally repositioned the spring perch -problem solved - and the springs are now perfectly straight!

Straight springs means a better ride!

Good luck!
Now you've got me nervous!!! How far did the track bar go into the spring to cause breakage? Mine has just a little wear thus far. (I'm driving it every day but, it VERY rarely hits during my normal driving) After Christmas I am going to have a bracket fabbed like Co4Lo posted!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.