JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out which kit to go with, is the pro kit really worth the extra $500 i believe i remember reading you only save about 50lbs, and you get a HD tie rod. I have a 2dr rubicon and will be running list lift with stock tires till money permits for some 35s it is my DD but i know RK is known for there ride quality both on and off road let me know what you guys think

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I am trying to figure out which kit to go with, is the pro kit really worth the extra $500 i believe i remember reading you only save about 50lbs, and you get a HD tie rod. I have a 2dr rubicon and will be running list lift with stock tires till money permits for some 35s it is my DD but i know RK is known for there ride quality both on and off road let me know what you guys think

I would prefer the steel for the strength over the aluminum for its weight saving to be honest. I don't think that the max travel is worth that much extra money, but thats IMO. Plus you have a 2dr so adding the weight of new control arms and what not should not be that much of a concern

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would prefer the steel for the strength over the aluminum for its weight saving to be honest. I don't think that the max travel is worth that much extra money, but thats IMO. Plus you have a 2dr so adding the weight of new control arms and what not should not be that much of a concern
you dont think the max travel is work the extra money over the stock mod?

or you dont think its worth the money to go the aluminum route?

thanks

·
Registered
720 Posts
When you add the price of the tie rod in it's not that much more and you really should get rid of the weak stock tie rod anyway. The first time out and mine was bent. I would not worry about the strenght of the arms they do carry the same warranty as the steel and they are very strong anyway

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
The Max Travel is the only way to go on a two door. The aluminum over the steel is a personal preference and you are mainly paying for the tie rod vs the fact that it's aluminum.

If you're doing it on a budget then go with steel and put the savings into your wheel and tire fund. :)

Let me know if you have any detailed questions about the kits, I have the max travel on my two door JK.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just sent Marcus an email this morning asking the exact same question. Is the reduced unsprung weight worth the extra $$$? Shock choice and Speed Bumps were my only additional questions.

Leaning toward Pro until I hear a good reason to go steel.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Max Travel is the only way to go on a two door. The aluminum over the steel is a personal preference and you are mainly paying for the tie rod vs the fact that it's aluminum.

If you're doing it on a budget then go with steel and put the savings into your wheel and tire fund. :)

Let me know if you have any detailed questions about the kits, I have the max travel on my two door JK.
Thanks Marcus I will let you, it won't be for a little bit maybe closer to the spring I am just trying to get my parts list together but I feel the aluminum is the way to go unless the strength isn't there which I am sure it is knowing RK has there great warrenty on it, and like stated above I am more so paying for the tie rod that would be replaced anyways, any other things I should be looking into to run the 35s ie: axle shafts, gussets, or sleeves?

Thanks for your help guys :beer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts