JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Installed RK 2.5 Max Travel - Now Questions...

I finished installing my RK lift this past weekend and I'm curious... the rear swaybar links are HUGE... and they lean forward a good bit when compared to the front links, which are pretty much straight up.
Is that normal or did I get mixed up with the wrong links?

Additionally, I set the front trackbar to the length recommended by RK, but the front axle still sits way to the driver side. Do I need to adjust the trackbar out some more or could my stock drag link be fighting the trackbar for front end alignment? My thought is that the drag link would just pull my steering wheel offset, but I've not done a lift with this much attention to detail before, so I just want to make sure I've got it all right.

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
Before worring about adjusting your drag link, definitely make sure the axle is properly square in the vehicle by adjusting the track bar. If you have everything in the vehicle already, simply roll it around the block, then make the assesment as to wether or not the front axle is in their properly. This will allow everything to seat in place. Our starting dimensions are extremely close and typically things only need to be adjusted about 1/16 of an inch.

For the rear sway bar links, we do set them a little longer since it is a droop based system... It really helps on the bottom end of travel...

Absolutely give us a shout if you have any other questions.

RK

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before worring about adjusting your drag link, definitely make sure the axle is properly square in the vehicle by adjusting the track bar. If you have everything in the vehicle already, simply roll it around the block, then make the assesment as to wether or not the front axle is in their properly. This will allow everything to seat in place. Our starting dimensions are extremely close and typically things only need to be adjusted about 1/16 of an inch.

For the rear sway bar links, we do set them a little longer since it is a droop based system... It really helps on the bottom end of travel...

Absolutely give us a shout if you have any other questions.

RK
Thanks for the reply. Just by eye-balling the front axle after driving it to the corner store and back, it looks like it's off center by about 1.5"... we were definitely within 1/16" on the measurement, as long as the provided measurement was from bolt center to bolt center. I'll drive it a bit more this week to let things settle in more properly. I noticed the rear did shift a good bit after we drove it and allowed the rear to bounce around some.

The rear sway links don't seem to be in the way of anything and I initially planned to run them without question, but figured if I was already posting about the front axle, might as well confirm that the rear links are set up as expected.

I appreciate you taking the time to clarify things for me- your activity with the off-road community and willingness to advise beyond the sale is the sole reason I purchased your kit. I'm looking forward to getting the rest of it dialed in so I can take it wheeling in two weeks!

·
Registered
644 Posts
We are running this same system on our 2012 Jk. We followed the instructions to RKs exact measurements and ours was perfect. I know its a little late but we always check the vehicles stock measurements before we begin the tear down. Along with RK , if you need any measurements off our rig . we will be glad to help you out. Email us or Pm us . [email protected]

Goodluck and we hope we can help you out

Thanks Johnny

·
Registered
59 Posts
install

I installed this same lift over the weekend and ended up lengthening my track bar about a 1/16 longer than recommended to correct the problem you are having, but mine was not close to 1.5" off center!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again, I appreciate the response. I'll drive the Jeep to work tomorrow to see if things will settle in a bit before I take up more of your time. My drive Sunday was to the corner store and back, half a mile at best.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A buddy made a good point- we added a 1" spacer up front to level it out since my bumper/winch had it nose heavy. We're think that may be what has it thrown off. I'll play around with it tonight and we'll see what's up.

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
Let us know if you need any help bud. We are very confident you have more than enough adjustment in that track bar to account for a 1" spacer. What do you have on the back of your JK? A bumper, tire carrier and full size spare??? If not, do you plan on adding them?

RK

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
A buddy made a good point- we added a 1" spacer up front to level it out since my bumper/winch had it nose heavy. We're think that may be what has it thrown off. I'll play around with it tonight and we'll see what's up.
Hard to imagine with the RK lift you will need a spacer to make up for the weight. I had a lot of weight in the back and on the front of the last JK I had with a RK lift and the springs had no problem maintaining a level stance.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hard to imagine with the RK lift you will need a spacer to make up for the weight. I had a lot of weight in the back and on the front of the last JK I had with a RK lift and the springs had no problem maintaining a level stance.
I agree, Ive got a BFH, 10k Warn winch with steel cable, and PSC steel crusher flares on the front, and I have no sag in my stance.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a PSC Brawler Lite with 2" stinger and grill hoop and 10k Engo winch up front.

I have stock bumper/carrier and spare 35 on the back. I bought a JCR rear with carrier a month ago but put the order on hold until they can finish the new Dagger rear and send me one of those instead. I'm confident it'll be level without the spacer once the rear is set up but without the add-ons being balanced it was tilting a bit too much for my liking.

I'll gas it up tonight and see what we can figure out. The flat flares make it a little harder to compare since they're so high off the tires.

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
Freshmeat

Just realize, that as you add weight to the rear of the vehicle that is cantered load, you will be balancing out the cantered load you already have on the front. This will make the back of the jeep go down and the front of the jeep come up. That is just the nature of cantered loads...

RK

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay... either things settled A LOT to the store and back or I'm imagining things. The front axle is currently offset by 1/2", which is more than likely the result of the spacer up front throwing things off the specs RK provided. I can live with this until I get the rear bumper and install it, at which point I'll address whether I even still need the spacer. Like RK stated, adding the weight on the back could pull the front up to a degree that the spacer won't be a necessity any longer.

The problem I'm having now is that the stability control is FREAKING OUT. It happened the other day but I figured it was because I had just pressure washed everything and possibly got water on something. However, it's all 100% dry right now and as I was braking to pull into the subdivision all my brakes started chattering and the stability control light between the gauges was flashing angrily. I'll start researching what could be causing that. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, can't make a curve without ESC blasting away. I've read that the slight tilt of the steering wheel could be screwing up some readings. I'm going to go adjust it straight and see if that helps anything.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank goodness for an easy fix!! Adjusted the steering wheel back to center and ESC is in great shape (staying tucked away in its dark corner of the ECM), now.

I'm thinking I may adjust the trackbar straight NOW so I'm not potentially wearing things unevenly until the rear bumper comes along, then adjust again when the bumper shows up. Better to make all the adjustments a few times than deal with unnecessary wearing of parts.

Also, my front axle joints on the LCAs are pretty crooked. Is this okay or do I need to adjust them back out? I had a couple other JK buddies helping with the lift so I'm now going back through and seeing a few things that could have been done better. This is why I didn't take it straight out onto the highways- wanted to give it a day or two then go back through and investigate all the potential issues.

Here's what I'm talking about- passenger side is leaning toward motor as well... is it important to drop the front end of these LCAs to get the joint straight up? Rears are straight (thank god, because it was a bitch breaking down the EVO Rockstars to get the rears in...)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Defintely get those joints straightened out, it's pretty easy to do. Loosen the jam nuts, align the krawler joints so they are vertical, and then stick something in b/w the body of the joint and your control arm mount to keep them upright when you tighten the jamn nut again.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Did u/they tighten up the ca bolts while on the ground or while jacked up?

Need the weight of the vehicle on em before snuffing em up and definetly straighten em out!:beer:

Is this thing working?......

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.