JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are your breather hoses short and hanging low?

Install River Raider's new "Smilin' Bobs Breater Hose Extension Kit"
This kit extends both of your axle breather hoses as well as your t-case and tranny breathers, and ties them into the factory air box for a worry free sealed system. Installation takes about 1/2 hour and is available for both 2 and 4 door JK's. Be the envy of your fellow Jeepers with your new extended hose!

We have tested this setup and found our extended hose kit provides satisfying results!

You'll have a big new swing of confidence when crossing through mud and water.
Order yours today! Only $48

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Is tying them into the factory air box a good idea? What if you overfill an axle or it overheats and purges gear oil?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
what about the auto tranny vent? did I miss that in there?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is tying them into the factory air box a good idea? What if you overfill an axle or it overheats and purges gear oil?
Yes tying into the air box works fine.

We have tested this system for the last two years and it has worked extremely well.

The main trunk line is a larger dia. hose then the factory breather hoses to allow sufficient air flow for all the breathers. You should never over fill your diffs however even if it purges some oil due to overfilling or overheating it will not be a problem due to hose size, placement and design.:beer:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I may have to order one of these soon myself...so if the axles or tranny were to puke fluid cause they got too hot, etc...these are the hoses it would come out? I ask, because some say the fires JKs have had, have been because tranny fluid puked onto hot exhaust...this, plus a tranny cooler would seem like an easy fix if I am right...

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
I may have to order one of these soon myself...so if the axles or tranny were to puke fluid cause they got too hot, etc...these are the hoses it would come out?
the ONLY way any fluid is coming out is IF you over fill your diffs, which is only possible with aftermarket covers because the hole is higher on them. The stock covers you fill to the fill hole, the after market you put in the recommended amount of fluid listed in your owners manual and you wont have a problem. I have Solid covers, never had a problem with the fluid come out and I've changed my fluid 4times. I've never heard of anyone having transfer case or tranny fluid come out the breather hoses. A few people have had diff fluid come out the breathers on brand new jeeps, it seems the diffs are filled before they are on jeep.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
the ONLY way any fluid is coming out is IF you over fill your diffs, which is only possible with aftermarket covers because the hole is higher on them. The stock covers you fill to the fill hole, the after market you put in the recommended amount of fluid listed in your owners manual and you wont have a problem. I have Solid covers, never had a problem with the fluid come out and I've changed my fluid 4times. I've never heard of anyone having transfer case or tranny fluid come out the breather hoses. A few people have had diff fluid come out the breathers on brand new jeeps, it seems the diffs are filled before they are on jeep.
yeah, I never overfill my diffs....some JK auto unlimiteds have burned to the ground, and some have suggested its a problem with the transmission overheating and puking fluid out on the hot exhaust...I have not had any personal experience with puking fluid...but I ran into a guy in Moab who had just installed a tranny cooler, seemed pretty worried about it, and he got me thinking about it again...

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
It is possible for gear oil to blow out due to heat. I've done it. I busted a rear drive shaft on a wheeling trip and had to pull my camper back with only front wheel drive. The front dif got a little hot and I had a nice mess of gear oil in my fender well. Granted this is not a normal circumstance, but it can happen.

Question is, what would the consequences be. I don't know. Can you hydro lock with gear oil? Would it do the same as water? I really don't know the answer that's why I ask.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
It is possible for gear oil to blow out due to heat. I've done it. I busted a rear drive shaft on a wheeling trip and had to pull my camper back with only front wheel drive. The front dif got a little hot and I had a nice mess of gear oil in my fender well. Granted this is not a normal circumstance, but it can happen.

Question is, what would the consequences be. I don't know. Can you hydro lock with gear oil? Would it do the same as water? I really don't know the answer that's why I ask.
Yep thats definitely not normal, hell that sucks.

As far as the gear oil causing hydrolock like water I would think not, I believe it would burn just like engine oil that gets past bad piston rings but of course I dont know that for sure. I dont know how it would affect the intake but I believe if it happened it could be cleaned with fuel injector cleaner. The other thing though is it would have to suck enough of it thru the filter to get into the intake.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The entire air box would have to fill up with gear oil (About 2 Gal.) for it to get into the engine.
If a diff overheats or gets over filled only a small amount may get spit out, but with our system it will never make it to the air box due to the air volume and layout of the trunk line.
This in no way could cause hydro lock. I hope this answer helps.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
hmmmmmm sounds like a runner up prize on the RR decal contest ;)

i will be placing this order in the future

·
Registered
621 Posts
As I spent the day burried in water in Ocala National Forest, I was totally wishing I had this set....

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I like the idea of this system, and want something like it. But here is what freaks me out...

I have no worries about getting fluid into the air box. Even if possible, it would run out the drain hole in the bottom and there would be no shot of it getting into the intake even if you had a gusher.

But it looks like this ties all of your breather lines together (could be a false assumption). So take this hypothetical...you wheel a gnarly trail and your ever-so-slightly overfilled front diff sends a bit of fluid up past the tee, sending it spreading out through the line a bit. You finish up, pop 'er into 2 hi and go on your way (or just park and let it cool off). In the process of cooling off, your trans or tcase cool quicker than the rest and inhale a bit deeper and faster than your diff....and suck in some tasty gear oil.

I don't know if this could actually happen, but it's sure not something I would want to discover later....

1 - 20 of 113 Posts