JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked at other similar posts about the RR skids and install but didn't find too much info on the install, and I'm in desperate need of help, anyone who has them or has installed them, so j figured out everything out with the oil pan, I understand where everything mounts, and I know how to mount the trans skid at the cross member by drilling the holes, now where I'm stuck is attaching the actual oil pan skid to the trans skid, the instructions state insert the 2 hard rubber bushings into the big hole piece on the front of the trans skid I was able to squeeze those in. But now it states to install the metal bushing into the rubber bushing...... I can not get this bastard to go in and I got aggravated and decided to try the BFH to get it in, well it got in one of the bushings and pushed the second one out and I'm back to square one, I just looked at the metal bushing now and I actually damaged the lip on it and now the bolt won't fit through the metal bushing on one side but I filed it out and all is good, so now I'm starting over and thinking of how the hell to get this damn metal bushing through these smaller rubber ones.. No more hammering because I don't want to damage it anymore than I did and chance anything. I tried big c clamps small c clamps, hammers, I'm out of ideas now and aggravated lol can anyone shed some light on this? Any hints or tips? I really want to get these installed and haven't even begun yet because of these darn bushings.

· Registered
44 Posts
Been awhile since I put mine on but I remember, greasing the bushings and using a plastic dead blow hammer to get them together. I know thats not much help but its all I can remember till i get home and crawl under and jog my memory a little more. Good luck!!

· Registered
684 Posts
It sounds like you're getting somewhere with the rubber bushings ... just keep doing what you're doing. Install one in the oil pan skid and one in the tranny skid. For the metal bushing, if you're having trouble fitting it in, file/shave the ends of it... about the first quarter inch or so. Just taper the ends in at a 30-45 degree angle. A bench grinder will be your friend, but you can do it with a manual file if you have a way to keep the bushing stationary. Once you think you've got the ends tapered appropriately (you shouldn't need much), grease the bushing and find your rubber mallet/deadblow hammer (a la kev) and put everything together.

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Weren't you the same one that wanted to pay someone to do beadlocks? I think you are. You did those, this is just harder. :thefinger:
Hahaha yeah that "was" me lol yeah the skids themselves are cake to install already have everything good to go, this damn bushing is just giving me a hard time sliding in, once this damn thing gets through we're golden

· Registered
3,175 Posts
Pics?

· Registered
602 Posts
I used a huge press/clamp to press them in, along with a lot of cursing. Yes, they are a MAJOR PITA, but well worth it once you have the skids installed.

At a Jeep fest last Sept, I watched someone break a front driveshaft and it went through the oil pan. 1000's of small engine pieces everywhere. He should've had the RR oil pan skid plates. :suicide:

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally got and got the skids installed ! :D I used a combo of everyone's input, little grease on the bushing, then put the bolt through the metal bushing then placed on the rubber and just tightened the bolt and and but and what do you know, worked like a charm ! Thanks again for everything guys

· Registered
602 Posts
If you didn't have them powder coated, make sure you give the skids a few coats of primer and rattle can paint BEFORE you install them. I still have to reinstall my tranny/transfer skid plates. Been putting that off since Sept when I last removed them to change the transmission fluid. Not looking forward to the inevitable cursing. Those things are HEAVY!

TIP: use a floor jack to support them in place while you fasten them to the Jeep.

· Registered
1,802 Posts
If you didn't have them powder coated, make sure you give the skids a few coats of primer and rattle can paint BEFORE you install them. I still have to reinstall my tranny/transfer skid plates. Been putting that off since Sept when I last removed them to change the transmission fluid. Not looking forward to the inevitable cursing. Those things are HEAVY!

TIP: use a floor jack to support them in place while you fasten them to the Jeep.
i dropped mine yesterday and it was a lot easier than i thought it would have been. for some reason i think i remembered the installation being a lot harder. the stupid nuts / washers in the cross member still piss me off to no end though.

· Registered
62 Posts
anyone have pics of the 2012 with river raider engine skid? it seems to be a different design than the one on their site

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.