JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In as few words as possible, I installed a RIPP SC in my 2013 JKR last Feb and am getting check engine light codes P..171 and P..174 codes when in 4L and crawling. The new software tune which came from RIPP with my unit and Diablo tuner was installed and since then in attempts to address the issue I have had three additional tunes custom made by an Alabama speed shop and at least one more from RIPP. None have corrected my issue, so we recently looked into possible mechanical issues, principally exhaust leaks. None found and even replaced upper plenum gaskets.

On a typical off-road ride the codes will throw three or four times, sometimes immediately, sometimes an hour later. I clear them and continue without trouble but they always reappear with no apparent reason. When thrown, the 171 code always appears, sometimes alone, but 90% of the time with the additional 174 code. I realize these indicate two different cylinder banks but my shop and I are kind of at wits-end. Hate to start just replacing parts and sensors like the O-2 etc with no reason. No engine code issues before RIPP installed. Both RIPP, Diablo and the speed shop consulted multiple times with no relief.

So do any of you have experience that might help me get a handle on this? I'm mechanically "challenged" so hoping to generate something to get the shop to explore. I feel the issue is mechanical rather than related to re-tune software; just a hunch based on the many attempts to re-tune.

·
Registered
265 Posts
In as few words as possible, I installed a RIPP SC in my 2013 JKR last Feb and am getting check engine light codes P..171 and P..174 codes when in 4L and crawling. The new software tune which came from RIPP with my unit and Diablo tuner was installed and since then in attempts to address the issue I have had three additional tunes custom made by an Alabama speed shop and at least one more from RIPP. None have corrected my issue, so we recently looked into possible mechanical issues, principally exhaust leaks. None found and even replaced upper plenum gaskets.

On a typical off-road ride the codes will throw three or four times, sometimes immediately, sometimes an hour later. I clear them and continue without trouble but they always reappear with no apparent reason. When thrown, the 171 code always appears, sometimes alone, but 90% of the time with the additional 174 code. I realize these indicate two different cylinder banks but my shop and I are kind of at wits-end. Hate to start just replacing parts and sensors like the O-2 etc with no reason. No engine code issues before RIPP installed. Both RIPP, Diablo and the speed shop consulted multiple times with no relief.

So do any of you have experience that might help me get a handle on this? I'm mechanically "challenged" so hoping to generate something to get the shop to explore. I feel the issue is mechanical rather than related to re-tune software; just a hunch based on the many attempts to re-tune.
What is the engine temp and air Temps when the lean condition occurs?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the engine temp and air Temps when the lean condition occurs?

Thanks. I was able to replicate the problem while logging parameters on the Diablo on I think three occasions. Memory fails but RIPP and the custom tune shop received those. Unfortunately I have deleted them. I can tell you ambient temps(outside engine) when problem occurred were 90F+ to 35+. Additionally, engine temps were high no matter the outside temps,
based on auxiliary cooling fan operating from max to gradually lowering to low then off. Gage temps on dash always "normal"

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks. I was able to replicate the problem while logging parameters on the Diablo on I think three occasions. Memory fails but RIPP and the custom tune shop received those. Unfortunately I have deleted them. I can tell you ambient temps(outside engine) when problem occurred were 90F+ to 35+. Additionally, engine temps were high no matter the outside temps,
based on auxiliary cooling fan operating from max to gradually lowering to low then off. Gage temps on dash always "normal"
I'm thinking fuel pressure issue. Not enough volume so the fuel is vaporizing under the high temp and slow moving speed.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rb. I will definitely explore this as this did not occur to us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd like to know what you find as well. This code popped up on me in 4L also. I was about 2 hrs into my run when the code came up.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It might be worth checking the brake booster o-ring, especially if it's been apart. That might cause a vacuum leak (compounded by increased brake usage in off road situations).

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd like to know what you find as well. This code popped up on me in 4L also. I was about 2 hrs into my run when the code came up.
Interesting. Likewise please post any developments. Are you supercharged? I am suspecting my issue might possibly not be related to the SC, even though it developed pretty much soon after the install.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It might be worth checking the brake booster o-ring, especially if it's been apart. That might cause a vacuum leak (compounded by increased brake usage in off road situations).
Definitely will. I checked my records and the Tereflex Big brake install was about one month after the RIPP. No off roading or 4L in between. Not knowledgeable enough to know if the booster line had to be messed with for the brake change. So far we cannot find a vacuum leak under pressure tests though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting. Likewise please post any developments. Are you supercharged? I am suspecting my issue might possibly not be related to the SC, even though it developed pretty much soon after the install.
Yeah I've got the Ripp installed on my 3.6l. The week prior I ran it in 4Hi for the sand dunes the whole day with no problem. Since clearing the code it hasn't come back but then again I haven't been out crawling since. I use my rig as my daily also.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checked fuel pressure and the o-ring. Everything normal. Still throws lean codes. Mystery..........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts