JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RIPP and yellow tops and dual battery trays "heat"UPDATED WITH READINGS

Just curious if anyone else is having issues with Optima Yellow top batteries who run a RIPP SC. With the higher ambient temps under the hood how have they been holding up for you? I have had my Jeep since March of this year and am on my third Yellow Top. After a 10 mile drive at 70 degrees with the dual battery setup the battery over the manifold is so hot it hurts to touch it. My dual battery system has only been in for about a week and already one of my brand new Optima Yellow tops is showing signs of failure at 12.4 volts. I called Optima tech support today and the person I spoke to said they are only rated to 120 degrees F and I can guarantee they are running hotter than that. I don't think any JK has ambient under hood temps less than 120 degrees F on a warmed up engine in the summer. it seems that the majority of the yellow tops I have sold over the past few years for various vehicles seem to have about a 75% failure rate in less than 1 year.

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
are you running any kind of venting in the engine compartment?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I ran my blue tops under the hood for quite awhile with no problems. This battery orientation does keep it from sitting right over the exhaust and maybe thats enough of a difference.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran my blue tops under the hood for quite awhile with no problems. This battery orientation does keep it from sitting right over the exhaust and maybe thats enough of a difference.

Maybe the system I have is from MORE which is very nice it's the one that others copied which try are you running?
it puts one of the batteries over the exhaust manifold when I get some time I am going to get the heat gun out and take some readings

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
I didn't like the way the batteries were located close to the engine and over the exhaust so I made my own. I see that JSS now makes a tray that places the batteries in the same location as mine were.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't like the way the batteries were located close to the engine and over the exhaust so I made my own. I see that JSS now makes a tray that places the batteries in the same location as mine were.

Looks good. I was having battery issues with the factory setup as well
We drove it to the beach about three hours away and went to move it into a parking spot after turning the engine off and it was completely dead
the Optima was so hot I was not able to touch it long without pain

I am going to try to find some of those battery wraps insulation sleeves to try and help using them as a heat shield

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally had a chance to drive it today it's about 60 degrees outside today
I took the Jeep for about 8 miles each way and took some readings. It's obvious where the heat is coming from. check out these pictures they tell all. Optima batteries are only rated to 125 degrees.
Now my next step will be to make a heat shield for the batteries. I will also measure a stock JK or 2 with single batteries and see what the readings are.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
RIPP and yellow tops and dual battery trays "heat"UPDATED WITH READINGS

Just curious if anyone else is having issues with Optima Yellow top batteries who run a RIPP SC. With the higher ambient temps under the hood how have they been holding up for you? I have had my Jeep since March of this year and am on my third Yellow Top. After a 10 mile drive at 70 degrees with the dual battery setup the battery over the manifold is so hot it hurts to touch it. My dual battery system has only been in for about a week and already one of my brand new Optima Yellow tops is showing signs of failure at 12.4 volts. I called Optima tech support today and the person I spoke to said they are only rated to 120 degrees F and I can guarantee they are running hotter than that. I don't think any JK has ambient under hood temps less than 120 degrees F on a warmed up engine in the summer. it seems that the majority of the yellow tops I have sold over the past few years for various vehicles seem to have about a 75% failure rate in less than 1 year.
there are so many things I did not know about tops. Tops can be optimized to fit our living conditions in a way that they make us more comfortable. you too can find the solution to your problem if you have a read here

1 - 9 of 9 Posts